Friday, November 17, 2023

Germany 2023-Dusseldorf arrival

Landed in Dusseldorf early this evening.  For the bulk of the trip I plan on visiting several Christmas markets that spring up this time of year.  Cologne is the next major city on the Rhine south of Dus.  If Im lucky, I may get a chance to visit before I leave.  I initially took this time off looking for somewhere to go to.  It just so happened that the north western region of Germany.  Early research showed the earliest markets would open on my day of arrival.  The largest of which as Dus.  As the weeks went on updated info showed a later opening by 1 week.  Undeterred, I went ahead with my plans.  Upon surveying the city, I found alot of the set up for the markets were in place but not open forbusiness.  Not all however.  The base of the ferris wheel at Burg Platz was attend by Friday night revelers.  Near Konigsalle was in full swing with street food, bars, ie skating and a formof the stone on ice sport, curlng.  This definitely heralds what should be a great look at some German Christmas markets.

The hotel that I am staying at is in Altstadt, Old Town, and in the middle of the 7 markets in Dus.  I arrive on a Friday night and stumbled my way to the area.  With no internet at the time, I could not figure out what exit I would need to head to get to the hotel.  I gambled and exited a one door dwon from where I alighted from the subway from the main city train station.  As luckwould have it, this was exactly where I needed to be.  Im tellling you, this is a great start.   Evening had already fallen and it was dark.  The signs had the area lit up and I recognized the Burger King near the exit.  I turned around and there was my hotel.

Did some quick unpacking and headed out with an adventurous heart.  I went toward the Rathaus, City Hall.  It was disappointing to see the huts set up but shuttered and dark.   Nearby, I thought I might was well take sight of the ferris wheel.  It was like a light was shining open the area as the food and drink huts were open and bustling.  Grabbed a quick glance at the Rhine river and the pomenade alongside.  Peered down river to the Rhine Tower.  Went to get a white sausage in a roll.  The offring was the best first bite in Dus.  The pork roast looked good too and will porbably come back another time.  Currywurst ketchup on one end and mustard on the other.  The ketchup won out.  It was sweet with subtle curry flavors.  A good match to the fine mellow flavor of the weisswurst.  I liked the curry ketchup more than the mix of curry power with ketchup in Berlin/Hamburg.  Then I had my first gluwhein.  Mulled/spiced wine served hot.  While taking sips to warm myslf, I would inadvertently inhaled the wine and irritate the nostrils.  Pro tip: drink, but dont inhale.  I didnt find much to rave about.  Not being a wine drinker I didnt know if it was good.  And, it didnt feel strong unless it was in my nose.  Primarily, I wanted to keep the refundable mug as a sourvenir.  The first of many.  Though not very cold, at least to me, it also helped to warm my hands.

I strolled around the area and went east towards the luxury shopping area of Konigsalle.  I was happy to find the party had already started at the Corneliusplatz(Cornelius plaza).  There was a large bar area next to an ice skating rink and a curling(?) rink.  There were several more huts nourishing the attendees.  In addition to the sausage and drink huts, there were also liebkuchen(potato pancakes), mushrooms, roasted nuts, sweets and so on.  I sis not partake this night but theres still several nights ahead.  It all smelled so so good.  It was hard to walk away.  Between this market and another off to the east was a smaller one in between.  Sales huts were erected but dark.  I took this as a sign to head back and get some sleep.  I am writing this at 3-4am local.  So much for sleep