Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Germany, Day 5 - Last full day

 Today will be my last full day in Germany.  Taking the opportunity to tie up loose ends and take it easy before flying back in the morning.  Went to the Rewe supermaket to get some eier liqour, specifically the Verpoorten brand.  Unlike the gluhwein, I was able to identify the brand sold at the Christmas market in several locations.  This is like an eggnog.  I got some later to taste it and to get the Verpoorten frosted glass as well.  20% alcohol by volume is what it says on the bottle.  There were other brands but they were not available for sampling.  Nearby I went to a place tha served saurbraten.  Beef rounds in a sour sauce with some sweetness from raisins.  Potato dumplings were bouncy and elastic like the ones I had on my last trip to Germany.  They are not boiled potatoes and pretty tasteless.   I always love the braised red cabbage.  The was dry in spite of the sauce.  The applesauce really saved the beef with added moisture and flavor.

After a quick nap, I strolled to the Schadowstrasse area.  There were still a few markets, though not open, I had not seen yet.  There was the small Ko Bogen market near a small pond with an inclined grassy area.  From there I went back to Schadow Markt.  I was here a few days ago in the rain.  Its a row of huts along a pedestrian walkway lined with retail shops.  I believe I also walked by the Marchen Market.  I think that rounds out all the markets in Dusseldorf.  I passed by Engelchen, sternchen, and Altstadt once again as they were in the stages of getting ready to open the next day.

Schwan is a restaurant near the ferris wheel.   I had seen a review on Youtube but I can remember the content provider.  I had the veal schnitzel jeager style,  with a brown mushroom sauce with fries.  Theres alot of  wurst places that include fries.  Theres standalone frie places that offer different toppings.  Oddly, these are my first pomme frite of the trip.  Like everything else, I thought the portion was large.  Although I finished the schnitzel, there was 1/3 fries left on the plate.  With some coin euro to burn, going to see what I can use them on before getting some sleep and early wakeup.