Sunday, November 19, 2023

Germany, Day 2 - Oberhausen/Duisburg

 Edit:When I woke up this morning, the sun was out and I couldnt help but get out and see what things look like during the day without the doom and gloom.  Burg Platz huts were not open yet as its still early.  Early for the promenade a well but the working ships have already started their day.  a short stroll along Konigsalle and once around the structures around Cornelius Platz

Today is Sunday and its a day of rest.  Many shops are closed, which I knew but bit me in the but anyway.  I should have rested too as I try to cram too many things into the first few days.  Unexpectedly, I hit up 2 Christmas markets.  Maybe because its Sunday, one of the lines I could take directly to Oberhausen skipped both Dus HBF and Ober HBF.  I had to go through and transfer at the airport.  On this leg, we passed Duisburg.  Thats when it came to mnd that I could stop off here on my way back since they should be open until 9PM.  It was easy enough getting to Ober.  Transfering to the tram posed a bit of a problem.  There were automated machines to purchase tickets for the ride. The kiosks did not accept cash?!?!?  The STOAG office was closed and the tourist information office was closed too.  Sunday, right?  Ended up charging the ticket.  

Arrived at the Westfield Centro shopping mall where the event was being held.  The entrance is right off the exit from the elevated stop.  Near the entrance was a toboggan ride lined with snow.  Alot of kids, young and older, wre enjoying the the downhill run.

Back to the main point.  This was a huge, huge Christmas market situated outside of a mall.  Theres a cluster of huts near the tram station and at the other end of the mall at the Coca Cola food court.  In between was a long line of huts offering crafts, food, and drink.  It was incredible and the biggest market I have been to yet.  Being next to a mall helped when some rain would fall, light and drizzly at times.  Easily duck in for some shelter.  Opposite the food court and acrossthe water was a ferris wheel.  Two for twowhen it comes to Xmas market and ferris wheel.  Got a kinderpunch to facilitate my collection.  I like the frosted mugs because they seem sturdier.  Unlike Dus, this was fully open.  Greater variety of food to be had.  I had the salmon grilled over an open fire on cedar(?) boards.  I wanted both sauces since I wasnt sure.  I went wih the mustard dill sauce.  Dont know what the other tasted like but I think I choose the right one.  some lettuce in the sandwich too.  Before I left, had the sauteed mushooms with knoblach, garlic mayo sauce.  It was good but oh so heavy.  Garlic without the mayo would have been just fine.  I think I should have tried the speatzle or the pasta dressed in a wheel of cheeese.

After walking all day, it was nice to sit down on the ride back.    It wasnt long before I arrived at Duisburg.  The station at Dui was alot bigger than I thought it would be.  It also offered alot of services too.  The festival here was much closer to the central station and did not require additional transportation.  It runs from the station to city hall.  At this point, alot of what was on display wasnt much different from what Ive seen the last 2 days.  But it was enjoyable nontheless to be out and about with the locals in the evening.  Light rain here and there.  Enjoyed a bit of gluhwein in a hut out of the rain.  Tasted exactly the same as the one in Dus.  and still couldnt help inhaling some of it.  Got some sausage to accompany the wine in my belly.  I got a bratwurst.  Though I thought the white sausage was soemthing else before.  Its the krakuer that that was the darker colored sausage, like a keilbasa.  Will need to give that a go next time.  Is it superstition that the vendors always serve them pointing up?  Does the luck run out if the sandwich looks like a frowning face?