Friday, November 24, 2023

Germany Departure

 I got up well before the sun and my alarm to make my way to the airport.  It was so early there was no one at the reception desk to check out with.  I got to the airport way too early.  About 3 hours before departure, I spent half of that waiting for the ticket counter to open for check in and bag drop.  Afterwhich, and you know th drill, security check.  Relieved that I didnt have to take off my shoes, I was pretty confident of getting through easily.  But, the full body scanner flagged something.  What could it be?  Turns out it may have been the metal buckles on my shoes.  So, I had to take them off anyway.  This would be a short hop on City Jet to Copenhagen  where I would transfer to my final flight 4.5 hours after landing.

After landing, I went to the SAS lounge.  I had purchased access through their app the day before for $28.  Previously it was $35 at time of booking.  Good thing I waited.  I opted for the lounge because I didnt want to exchange currency or put an extra charge on my card.  Plus, I didnt want to pay for the expensive airport fare.  The main lounge was pretty full but not crowded and I found a seat quickly.  Then on to food and drink.  Theres a cold salad bar and a crock of cauliflower soup with some bread nearby.  Sodas, beer, wine, and coffee were available as well as some cookies and potato chips to snack on.   The soup was more cream than anything else with a whisper of cauliflower.  I enjoyed 3.5 bowls over the span of time.  I chose the coucous salad, rice salad with chicken, bean salad, and a side of pesto.  The chicken in the rice salad was the only source of protein against the backdrop of hard rice.  I put it to good use by warming it in a bowl of soup.  The automated coffee dispenser did its job well while I paired its offerings with some assorted cookies.  I spent the time on my tablet while partaking of the kettle style chips.  Before leaving, I grabbed 3 tangerines for the flight.  All in all, even without having any alcohol, it was money well spend for access as it helped passed the time and filled my belly before the flight.

The walk to the E terminal was quite long from the lounge in C terminal.  Once I got to passport control, I was flagged for random security check.  Went through it without any issue, as I expected.  On to the plane where I was happy to find I had both seats to myself.  Unfortunately, for the second time, I was not sleepy throughout the flight.  What a waste of space.  On the initial leg, I could have used the room as the seats seem narrow with even less legroom than most other carriers.  I enjoyed the chicken with rigatoni that was served as the main meal.  They served a nice crusty roll which was similar to the ones I had throughout myt trip.  Didnt bother with the carrot and cabbage salad that was only dressed with olive oil.  The snack before landing was a warm smoked turkey smnoked gouda sandwich.  If I hadnt read the package, I thought it was ham and cheese.  The plane departed before sunset.  We chased it halfway around the world while falling behind in some places and catching up to it before getting to the west coast.  By the time we were at the gat around 6ish pm, the sun had set.  All that was left was to head home and have Thanksgiving dinner.

Thanks for sticking it out this long. In the days to come, I will repost with pictures.  In the weeks to come, I will add links for videoes.