Saturday, September 3, 2011

Travelogue-Chicago Arrival

I flew into Midway today and made my way to the hotel, Club Quarters Central Loop.  After quickly checking in, I left the hotel around 9pm to catch the fireworks show at the Navy Pier.  As you can see, it was dark and Im unfamiliar with the area so I want sure how far it was or how long it would take to walk there.  The evening was balmy and somewhat muggy.  I headed east toward the lakeshore and made some doglegs to the north.  I eventually caught first sight of the pier near a hotel.  I had an hour or so to wait for the fireworks.  I stood there enjoying the breeze off the lake which kept the moisture from condensing on me.  I espied many people out and about as I made my way here.  The show was supposed to begin at 10pm.  10pm came and went.  After 10 minutes, I left feeling dejected and some light sprinkles didnt help the matter.  I headed back to my hotel.

 On the way back,  I could see Willis Tower and decided to snap a pic.  As I did, I could the bombs bursting in air behind me.  Quickly, I ran back to my vantage point to enjoy what I could of the reminder of the fireworks

I thought the display was going to take place above the pier.  It turns out it happened just south of the end of the pier in the lake.  I caught what I could and once again turned to go back.


When I hastily left the room, I forgot to bring my tripod and extra batteries.  The tripod would have come in  handy for the fireworks.  Later, some exstra juice for the camera would have been nice as well.  I cut through Millenium Park and ran across the Cloud Gate sculpture.  This giant shiny reflective jellybean mirrors the area around it.  With what little energy I had left in the camera, I took some long exposure shots with re3flections of the city wallpapering every inch of it