Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Travelogue-Chicago Departure

With a few spare hours open before my flight, I walked around the Loop area.  In the north around Lake and Clark, I ran across a lively farmers' market.  There are the usual fruits and vegetables.  alot of vendors were selling honey crisp apples, I guess they were in season.  Still others were selling baked goods and other wares.

This seller had peppers on sale.  There were a number of varieties on offer.  Different kinds were found on the rack behind this one.  It was a mix and match sort of thing.  There was even live music and when it reached lunch time, it was the place to be to enjoy a midday meal

Near my hotel was the Chicago Board of Trade on Jackson at LaSalle.

At this same intersection, the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
Bags packed, I boarded the Orange line to Midway airport.  for the first time in a long time, I was on a flight that was not filled to capacity.  Although the stewardesses would lead you to believe otherwise when people were boarding.  There was an actual open seat between myself and the traveller sitting on the aisle.  With no headwind, the flight made great time and landed 30-45 minutes early.  On top of that, my checked bag was among the first 15 to exit the carousel.  This good fortune was in contrast to what happened when I arrived at the airport.  First, I was pulled aside to be swabbed and tested.  Second, I had to go through the full body scanner.  I had no problem with it but it was my first time through one of these contraptions.  The workers were none too pleased when I had all kinds of papers in my pockets during the scan.  Well, excuuuuuse me!  I was expecting to go through the metal detecter and not expecting to be pulled into the full body scanner.