Sunday, September 4, 2011

Travelogue-Chicago Day 1 Lunch

This morning, I stopped of at Greektown in hopes of getting a gyro for brunch.  Ive read thqat the gyro was introduced to America here   Greektown runs along a short stretch of Halsted.

At 1 corner, there were 2 gyro joints across the street from each other.  There were plenty of other Greek restaurants up and down Halsted, Athens, Pegasus, Ridty's, etc.

However, I was swaqyed by the crowds in front of Meli.  Its a  cafe much like Stacks  The interiors and wait staff looked similar too.  An hour wait and brunch soon became lunch.  The crowd never died down much even several hours later when I passed by again on my way back to downtown

I chose the spicey flamenco omelette with english muffins.  The dish came with a side of potatoes and some watermelon.  Inside the layer of 3 eggs is spicey chorizo, sweet peppers, tomatoes, and pepper jack cheese.  Sour cream and avocado topped the entree.

It was ok.  The chorizo was not hot al all and this could have used some more character.  I had to douse the decent potatoes with some hot sauce to get it to the level of spiciness I thought the whole dish should have been at.