Monday, August 29, 2011

For Lunch-Sunrise Deli

There are a couple of locations for this Mediterranean deli.  The one that I frequented most is located on Irving Ave past 24th Ave somewhere.  Its a stones throw from golden Gate Park.  I particularly enjoy their falafel and falafel sandwich.  On occasion, I have been to their other location on 2nd St between Mission and Market.  I like their falafel sandwich better at this location.  It may have to do with the hummus or tahini that is put into the sandwich.  I believe the recipe is slightly different because of the different flavors I experience when noshing on these items.

Anyway, I decided to have something different on this last trip.  I opted for a chicken shawarma and a side of 2 falafels.  The chicken and onion mixture is tuffed into pita bread with some red pickled cabbage.and tomatoes.  Overall, I found the entirety of it quite bland.  The pickling of the cabbage was quite mild and only hinted at some sourness when biting into it.  I had expected more spices in the chicken but it seems they were very light handed in this department

I have not had alot of shawarmas, especially not chicken ones.  So, I wasnt really sure what to expect.  I have had lamb ones at Truly Mediterranean and throughly enjoy those.  The much bolder use of spices and strong flavor of the lamb is apparent and fills the mouth with each bite.  Chicken on the other hand is a much blander meat so I cant fault them for that.  They also serve chicken shawarma at Ayola.  I have read on some online review sites that their shawarma is not their stellar product either.  I guess I will have to try one from there and compare.