Monday, September 19, 2011

Travelogue-Chicago Day 4 Costco/Vienna Beef

Ok, I know that this post is well over due.  The fact is, I get lazy towards the end of the trip and am not so good about posting the last few days on time.  forgive me for wanting to get some sleep before I have to fly home.  Anyway, I had planned to go to the Vienna Beef plant for a tour of their operations.  Funny thing, whenever I brought this up, friends thought I was going to take a tour of the place that makes those tiny vienna sausages that you find in those itty bitty cans.  In fact, nost people who sell hot dogs in Chicago proudly display that they use the Vienna Beef brand of franks.  Coincidentally, I fount that Costco in Lincoln Park was just steps from the hot dog plant.

I stopped in to take a look around as I am want to do when a Costco is nearby.  As I strolled the aisles, I found nothing to make this too distinct from any other domestic location.  With that done, I went to the snack bar to see what tbhey offered.  Once again, I fouind the same menu items as I would back home.  I was, maybe, expecting deep dish pizza or Chicago-style hot dog.

Vienna Beef offers tours of their plant once a week for a limited number of people.  You can sign up online at their website.  Unfortunately, they had to cancel the tours for the week prior, my week, and the week following.  Apparently, the USDA was in town for some reason.

I decided to stop by anyway because they had a onsite cafe.  My choice was obvious.  One dog with everything, a side of fries and a drink.

I dont know what it is but Chicagoans insisted on intensely colored relish for their dogs.  The brighter the green the better it seems.  To me, its just not natural to see this color of green.  The color does not take away from the flavor of the wiener and its accompaniments.