Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Korean Drama/Movie-Iris


I have been known to watch a few Japanese dramas in my time. But its been a while since I watched my last j drama. I have heard that Korean dramas are just as good if not better. I started with the k drama Dream because of the female lead, k pop singer Son Dambi. It couldn't keep my attention and I didnt complete the series.


A while back KBS began to air one of the most expensive dramas in Korean history. The spy thriller Iris is an action-packed story about differing ideologies on the reunification of Korea with a sprinkling of a love triangle thrown in for good measure. They went to great lengths to film this series including being on location in Japan, China, and Budapest. Reportedly, it cost an average $1 million per episode to produce. I thought it was well worth it, as was the same thought of some of my coworkers who had seen it also.

The series began to air subtitled on KBS World shortly after it premiered on Korean television. The story begins with two friends who are going through military training together. By a twist of fate, each fall in love with the same woman. The three become friends and begin to work for a government organization not unlike the CIA. With the backdrop of Korean reunification, nuclear terrorism, and the efforts of a supersecret global organization, Iris, imposing its wills on the on the rest of the world, the three are driven by love and jealousy to their ultimate ends.
I wont reveal what happens at the end of the series but the story does not end there as the movie has been premiered at the Hong Kong film festival several weeks ago. The movie will disclose what happens to the characters beyond the terminus of the series. The ending left many questions in the mind of viewers. The sequel to the series, Iris Season 2-Athena:Goddess Of War, will not be addressing these questions. I am early awaiting the movie