Thursday, February 25, 2010

For Lunch-Hard Knox Cafe

Several years ago, I heard about this southern restaurant from a local restaurant review show on TV. Originally located on 3rd St., it has since expanded to a second location on Clement St. I tried it back then and was not impressed by the offerings.


Since I was in the area, I decided to give them a second chance. I ordered the beef short ribs with a side of corn and red beans and rice. It came with complimentary corn bread muffins

The ribs were tender and fall off the bone in a non-descript light brown gravy. I cant say there was much flavor to them. The flavor was as limp as the short ribs themselves. The corn seemed like they came out of a can. The red beans and rice was missing that smokiness that I associate with this particular dish. The corn bread had a nice hard baked exterior in contrast to the moist soft interior. The flavor was good but corn bread alone does not a meal make.