Sunday, March 31, 2019

Travelogue Germany-Day 6 Sunday Fish Market

I left the fischmarkt area around sunset Saturday evening thinking, "Should I come back Sunday?"  I would have to wake up early as it runs from 0700-0930 during these months.  Even earlier, 0500, during th summer



I'm glad I hauled my butt out of bed, onto S3, and walked to the same area after sunrise.  Along much of the path that I walked yesterday was mainly open blacktop.  Now, they were filled with vendors

It stretches to the red brick hall and not much further

Tshirts, totes bags, toys and more displayed for sale

It's a very lively place to be.  Some say its because the revelers from Reeperbahm came straight here

Its is the vendor and attendees that give this event its energy.  Tourists and locals alike mingle in between the stalls of clothes/crafts, fish and produce, edibles and drinks

The biggest seller is the pickled herring sandwich.  If your like me, you go for alternatives like shrimp sandwich, deep fried seafood and chips, or baked goods



The produce guys bag up several fruits and vegetables into one tote bag/basket.  These were being assembled as the hawker put on a show.  Throwing bananas to the crowd and making deals. 

Video of this guy will be uploaded later.

I saw this shrimp like creature being sold.  The shells look thick.

The party goes on be use they have a live band playing and the beer still flows.  Video of this festive crowd will be uploaded later

This particular cache of produce went for q0 euro but there were baskets right next to them that sold for 15 euro

White asparagus.  Could probably find these in a restaurant somewhere

Unfortunately, breakfast filled me up more than expected

I went for the crayfish sandwich with garlic aioli.  The crayfish tails were plump and seemed fresh.