Monday, March 25, 2019

Travelogue Germany-Arrival

Approx 10 hour flight, 3 hour layover, and 2 hour connecting flight via Dublin deposits me at sunset in Hamburg.  I have been to DUB on a previous trip but didnt explore it much.  With a couple of hours, I wandered around some of the closer terminals


 Like any other airport, shops and eateries are spread out.  They range from kiosks to full stores

 I rarely shop for souvenirs or any other prducts at the airport.  Always interesting to see what they offer in relation to food.  Several drug stores selling snacks and rinks in addition to medication and other sundries.  There was this "food court" near one of therminal

 They heavyweights in retail food will be a comforted sight to some people.


I opted for something simple.  This set was just under 6 euro.  I could have made a better choice in sandwiches aside from bland one that I choose.  It was around noon in Dublin but 5 am in tired body and mind.  This felt breakfast-y to me.  Good to know diet Dr Pepper can be had and finally a bag of crisps.  

 A short flight and we land in Hamburg to catch the setting sun.  I was surprised by how little paperwork was needed to get here.  Nothing to fill out when entering Dublin.  No forms to submit after crossing into Germany.  When flying between the US and Japan, documents are required for entry into each country

Knowing I would be tired and wouldnt arrive at my hotel until the evening, I booked a hotel right across the street from Hamburg Hauptbanhof 

Checked in an dropped off luggage.  Wanted to explore the station a bit and get something to eat.



 Alot of activity among the many stores and shops.  I am starting on the north side of the station.  I spot some pretzels and headed down to investigate

 A bakery and sndwich joint anchors a food court

 Several different cuisines to choose from including chinese, kebabs, indian, etc

 The ins and outs of the repeated cycle of the scheduled trains that bring riders and whisk away departees.  Across the way are a few more shops at the southern end of the station

 Monday night and trains continues to roll in then leave.  I dont know how late the stations stays open but Im sure more commuters have yet to arrive

A quick look on this side shows alternate locations of alot of the same shops that I saw on the north" Le crobag, chinese take out, and curry wurst shop

A peek back to the north where I started from

I saw this guy at his currywurst shop when I first entered the station and decided to have a go

I ordered the currywursst set which included fries and a small soda.   The sausage is a finely ground white sausage.  Smooth and easily gives way when bitten.  Nice flavor and texture.  I was surprised by the ketchup.  He  librally pours on the ketchup then spreads curry poweder upon it.  I was surprised how the Heinz ketchup was not as acidic as I expected.  It was more like tomato sauce for pasta, pleasent.  

Went back to the room and went to bed around 10pm.  As Im jetlag's bitch, I got up at 3am and wrote this out.  Im hoping to get some decent sleep before I head off to Berlin via 2 hour train ride