Saturday, March 30, 2019

Travelogue Germany-Day 5 Bye bye Berlin, back to the (Ham)burg


Is this what a sunny day in Berlin looks like?  This my first time to see it.  Wouldn't you know it's my last day,  I took my luggage to Berlin HBF and put it in a locker



On the way there, I saw 2 markets that were not there previously.  I had passed through Hackesher Markt a few times yesterday.  Overlooking the stalls I saw mainly at and craft goods with some fruit/veg and little in the way of edibles


Decided to walk to the next market that was along the banks of the river

No fears of getting lost.  As long as I was near the tracks, I knew where I was going.

I finally came across the tents I saw from the passing S bahn.

It was kind of like an antique market with old books and records, knick knacks, and some beer stains.  Too bad the only thing to eat here was a sausage stand

That next closest S bahn station was Friedrichstrasse.  Same salad different location.  I was  going to have the same salad again at Berlin station where I had it before.  At this Dean & David, I could eat al fresco under the tracks

A model of Berlin central station complete with underground roadways and subways

I got into Hamburg and didn't really have anything planned.  Planned on visiting the Sunday fish market. But it starts at 7am and I wasnt sure what the route would be like.  Let's pre trip the route.  Got off at Reeperbahn, the nightlife/red light district.  More on this later

 It was an easy walk down to the water way.  Might as well look around since I'm here. Kind of expected Fishermans Wharf

It's supposed to be pretty crowded on Sunday despite the early hour.  Not much going on now.  There were a few restaurants that require reservations down by the cruise ship port.  I was hungry and settled for this place in the corner

I ordered the fish soup and the only other thing I could quickly translate, fischfrikadellen

2 fried fish patties on a plate with potato salad.  It's not the greatest meal I've had but it relieved the hunger

Started walking back towards Reeperbahn.  Now that I've seen it, I wonder 8f the early wake up call is going to be worth it

 Das boot!  Das boot museum!

A robot in disguise?

The neon comes on after the sun set.  This mile long strip is made up of bars, sex joints, and cheap eateries.  A large concentration of kebab and pizza places



There is a plaza dedicated to the Beatles.  The came to this area slot during their ride to fame.  The memorial is situated at the entrance of an alley line with strip clubs