Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Travelogue Germany-Day 2 A long day's walk into night

Maybe it's me and not jet lag.  I've been waking up around 3 or 4am but fallen back to sleep.  Whatever.  The Ibis Styles offers breakfast similar to Novum.  Deli meats, breads, cereals, juice and hot beverages.


There were no eggs but there was pancakes at the push of a button

Made myself a little sandwich.  The jar contained mango juice.  They also had erdbeer, strawberry.

Today would literally walk in the park.  Rode the S bahn to Tier Garten station at the west end of the park

My goal is to walk to the eastern end about 3km away, though not down the main thoroughfare

A third of the way in is a round about encircling a Victory colum

I followed a winding path through the park towards Cafe Neun Am See

A beer garden and restaurant on the edge of the park near s small body of water

But lunch would be deferred as the place was closed

Statues about hunting it would seem



 I made it to the round about and the walk had only just begun

Along the way I would pass other statues

I also passed by the Soviet War Memorial.  Tanks flanking Howitzers flanking a Soviet soldier?

What greets me after a long walk but butts

The Brandenburg Gate

The quadriga atop the gate facing toward the east

A Starbucks nearby would have to fuel and warm me up until lunch

Where to go for lunch?  Potsdamer Platz was just to the south and I continued the walk instead of taking transportation

A number of shops nearby but I had to go into the Mall of Berlin

Walked around the food court looking for something german


I landed here and ordered kartefollpuffer mit lachs

Of course it sounds like what it is, potato pancakes with lox.  Satisfying to un-defer lunch

Something about exercising corrupted my mind and forced me to walk to the next site when I could have taken the U bahn, subway

Rausch is a fine chocolate shop. They had recreated some Berlin landmarks in chocolate.  Somethings I saw on my way here

I was looking for something else here but it's not available at this time of year. A friend had also mentioned this place



Another chocolate shop is a few blocks away.  Never had or experienced Ritter Sport but I heard it's popular in Europe

The retail outlet had all the flavors you would want plus some new and exclusive editions.  Lebkuchen was on special.  Gingerbread is loved in Germany

You can also create your own custom edition.  Choose the type of chocolate then select additions.  They'll mold it then wrap it up

I had to rest and drop off my purchases.  I was very stiff when left for dinner.  A chain of currywurst places, Curry 36 at Berlin Hbf

Curry Express steamed their wurst.  36 fried their sausage giving the ruptured skin extra texture.  Aside from that it all tasted the same

 The wurst was an appetizer.  Not having had any greens for a while, I got caesar salad with chicken at this place in the food court

Nice dressing and a good proportion of ingredients was the recipe for a fulfilling salad.  I went to catch the U55 line as a direct route back to the gate.  The terminal looked unused and unfinished.  Forced to take the longer way around

Well lit at night, many people had come to take pictures, selfies, etc


Did I forget to mention the gate is on the drapes of my room?