Thursday, March 28, 2019

Travelogue Germany-Day 3 More currywurst, KaDeWe, and Market Hall 9

Intentionally started at a leisurely pace with a slow breakfast and rallying in the room until 11.  Another day light drizzle and overcast clouds.  Took the subway after taking S bahn


I'm grabbing a snack before I do lunch propper.  Krasellt's may seem a bit out of the way but its close to KaDeWe

You may wonder how I choose where to try.  As I searched the web for these types of places, I took note of the places that were mentioned the most.  This happened to be the cheapest

The sausage is fried like 36.  I opted for the spicey ketchup but there was no heat,  The ketchup was sweet like all the others but they warm up theirs

 Satisfied, it's back on the U bahn for a few stops

 If you know Harods in London, people consider this its rival in Berlin, Kaufhaus des Westens

KaDeWe, for short, is a department store with luxury brands on the ground and everything else you would expect up to the 5th floor

 The sixth floor  houses the food hall.  You can pick up candies, chocolates, and other sweet goods.  Or take some time to have various coffees and teas with baked goods to accompany them.


You can also have a light lunch

One floor up is the Winter Garten

Various hot foods are offer.  Soups and salad bar are also available.


So e si p.y came in for dessert.  Ice cream, cakes/pies, and parfaits are what I observed people having


A large window over looks the street below

I hadn't notice the market across the street when I arrived

The usual fare of farmers, butchers, cheese makers, and hot food purveyers.


This caught my nose.  I thought someone was burning something but it turned out to be smoked seafood.  It was primarily fish like eel and trout

Checkpoint Charlie is an infamous location during the cold war.  Americans and Soviets guarded this crossing point of the border

Now, its kitschy tourist attraction where people dawn a fake military hat and take a picture with a poor creation of a Soviet guard

Today is Thirsday and there's a weekly event at Markthalle Neun.  Its street food Thursday

Never been here at any other time so I'm not sure how this all looks.  But it looks pretty full to me with a lot of participants on both sides of the register

There is definitely a large variety of international cuisines.  There's some German godlike the pork roasts below but fewer than I expected


I read that boulette was like meatloaf.  They serve it up as meatballs and you have a choice of Berlin, Bologna, Bangkok, and something else

 I ordered 4 of the Berlin but should have mixed it up.  It was good but tasted like other meatballs I have had before.  Buttered brown bread, gurkhen, and sour cream sauce.  I was not as hungry as I wished and this filled me up for the rest of the day

 Took a few picture of the area as I went back to the station.

I was surprised that the U bahn ran on elevated tracks.  Up to a few hours ago, I thought the subway all ran underground

About the public transport system.  Its efficient and decently priced.  People enter and leave station/platforms without the hindrance of paygates.  Makes transfers fast and easy.  Ticket checkers ride the system and will check your ticket.  Over the last few days, I've only been checked twice and both times were on the same train, 5 minutes apart with different checkers.