Monday, May 17, 2010

Movie Review-Alice in Wonderland

An odd pairing: Tim Burton and Disney. But that is Burton's bread and butter. It has been many decades since my last perusal of this Lewis Carroll tale. I dont recall if I enjoyed the story but Im sure I found the movie to be a snooze fest.
The story tells of a girls fall into a weird and whacky world unfamiliar to her Victorian sensibilities. She emerges from this world a more confident and self-assured person not restrained to the social norms for women of the time.

The pacing of the movie is very slow and I found myself not caring for what happens to her. Even though, if you have read the stories, we know she comes through it unharmed. Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter is just another run of the mill flamboyant character that we are used to seeing from him. The bad guy, well bad girl, is the Red Queen played by Helena Bonham Carter who's head is enhanced by computer graphics to be as huge as the rest of her body. I actually found the White Queen, Carter's antithesis, to be a scarier image though no enhancements were made to her form. She was played by Anne Hathaway. The movie plods as Alice is realized as the White Queen's champion to destroy the Jaberwocky, the Red Queen's enforcer.

If you must see it, wait for the DVD. Otherwise, dont bother