Friday, May 14, 2010

Japan-Remembering the first time

It was back in 2001 that I made my first trip to Japan. It was always the first place I wanted to visit when I started to travel. Like many, I was drawn in by the anime, toys, and electronics. I was also interested in their feudal past and the age of the samurai. I went with a number of friends. Only one of whom who had been their before. He was our guide during the first week while we visited the Sapporo Snow Festival. After arriving back in Tokyo, he sent us on our merry way as he soon depart for home.

I dont remember too much about that first visit but a few things still remain in the noggin. The tall buildings and neon were a dizzying sight. Not to mention the large display screens in selected areas. The throngs of people at all hours of day were a source of motivational energy. The utter convenience of vending machines and convenience stores that were never more than half a block away. The speed and timeliness of the mass transit system never had us waiting for long before the train to arrive. All of which are still true to this very day.

We arrived at Narita airport and promptly boarded a shuttle bus after exchanging our currency. It was dark as the sun was already beginning to set by the time we touched down. Traffic was slow and it seemed like we went through numerous toll gates before hitting the metropolis. We stayed at the Shinagawa Prince for a single night. The next few days saw us flying to Hokkaido and back via Haneda. Upon our return, we shifted locations to the Tokyo Prince which is located at the base of Tokyo Tower. Curious as it may be, we never visited the tower even though it was withing easy walking distance of the hotel. To this day, I still have not ventured to it.

Over the next few days we began to make our way around and visit many sites. I recall taking the subway to Akihabara. The station was located at Showa dori, one block away from the main street, Chuo dori. We walked up and down Showa for a few minutes while we got our bearings. Consulting the guide book got us back on the right path. The stores were filled will all manner of toys and models. Only a small percentage of which was available in the states and, at the time, much more expensive as well.

When we got to Shibuya, thats when I knew we were in Tokyo. The massive numbers of people that all moved in unison when the traffic lights change. Three large video billboards captivating the virgin eyes of the first time visitor. The glow of the neon signs running up and down the buildings announcing not only the stores present but providing illumination to the street below.

Walking through Takeshita dori in Harajuku made me realize how much of a retail culture Tokyo was. The smallest little shop that could be squeezed into the smallest little was utilized to sell whatever wares they had. The outreageous fashions of the younger set that defied imagination.

Shinjuku revealed to me the wonders of the japanese department store. Along with the usual things I had expected, they had these amazing basement levels with wonderous sights, smells, and tastes. This was the deli and food level. Everything you saw was arranged and presented as if it was made in an expensive gourmet restaurant. Some of the items they carried were in the class of gourmet but many others were of reasonable price.

I still cherish that first visit which has had a lasting impact on me. Since then, I have been back every year, except for 2008. However, there was one year that I went twice so that keeps up my average. I return from a shorter stay a few weeks ago and plans are forming for next year. It seems like I will accept any excuse to go back to my Tokyo