Thursday, August 15, 2024

Japan 2024 - Day 12 The last day

 Theres not much left to do but check out and head to the airport.  However, the flight is not until 2130 and that leaves me several hours in the baking sun before sunset and lowered temps.

I found an Ichiran thats open 24 hrs.  At 6:30am I went to have ramen.  Expectedly uncrowded and got to the ticket machine quickly.  I went with the most popular option of ramen with some extras.  These include nori, extra slices of chasiu, mushrooms, and a boiled egg.  You go through the usual checklist to customize your ramen, hand it over, and they bring it before you know it.  Initially sample the soup. The bump in the spice level was really nice.  More would have been too much for the morning.  The pork was great and Im glad to have ordered extra.  Another great bowl of noodle soup at 1620yen.

Where in Shinjuku could I go and spend a few hours doing nothing for free and theres AC.  The Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, yes that same one with Godzilla projected on it, has observation decks on each of the towers.  In the north tower, the views east required dining at the cafe to access.  Looks like they've done away with that and its open to all.  They still run a cafe though.  On a clear day you can see Mt Fuji very clearly.  The south tower provides better views of the areas like Meiji Jingu, Shibuya, etc.  Ouyt to the west you can see Skytree.  Not sure if there is much to see to the north.  Sometimes, like today, both towers.  Also one stays open later than the other.  Check their website.

Where I spent part of today will be spent at Share Lounge.  Imagine an airport lounge at several locations within the city.  The branches provide access to wifi, food, drink, and space.  There are 2 locations in Shibuya that overlook Shibuya Scramble crossing.  The going rate is 1650yen/hr.  I selected the one located in Shibuya Scramble Square instead of the one located above the Starbucks across from the station.  From what ive seen, they provide a workspace as well as food and drink, alcohol as well.  I have seen frozen gyoza, takoyaki, fried rice, and other meals you can nuke.  I didnt see that at this location.  They did have the drinks, liqour, and snacks but not what i was expecting for the same price.  The rice crackers came in different forms and flavors.  Good select of drinks from the fridge as well as Starbucks branded coffee drinks which can be iced.   2 kinds of cup pasts as well as several dehydrated soups.  A couple of snacks in bulk dispensers.  I like the tropical fruit trail mix.  It was good to get out of the heat and enjoy some drinks and snacks.  I guess you have to go to the other location if you want a full meal.  For an hour it cost the same as the ramen this morning.

For some extra views, one level down, there is a seating area for people to sit down relax and look at Shibuya Scramble to Miyashita Park to Hikarie.  I people watched as selfies were snapped and admirers took in the view through the floor to ceiling windows.  Before I knew, I had to get back to the hotel, get my luggage and get to my appointed train.  This is another downside of Narita.  At Haneda, I could easily catch a regularly scheduled local or rapid train any time I wanted.  N'ex usually requires reserved seating so you will need to choose a scheduled departure.  You could catch the alternative but you would have to go to Ueno

Its great to be home again.  Additional posts with pics will follow as well as Youtube videoes after some time.  I feel like Im going to be doing alot of editing for weeks