Sunday, February 27, 2022

Hawaii 2022 The last of it

I usually already have places in mind to eat at wherever I travel to.  I read about this place and a post in Yelp mentioned they would open today.  They were ahead of themselves.  I came here for breakfast the establishment was still renovating the business.  The doors were open but no one around.  So I left.

Across the street was the Walmart I visited before.  I usually find a McDonalds in many locations.  For some reason I did not see the L&L Drive In before.  I ordered the lighter garlic shrimp plate.  It came with salad and brown rice instead of the usual 2 rice, 1 mac.

I return home the next day and theres just a few things left to do.  Aside from that, Im going to kick back and relax.  I didnt really do much of that towards the early part of the trip

One of the treats of Hawaii is the shaved ice.  Simply ice shavings topped with syrup.  As refreshing as that is, additional options take it over the top.  In the North Shore, Matsumoto's is world famous.  That is the one location.  There are several places around Honolulu to get your hands on shaved ice.

Waiola has several locations.  There is one nearby Ala Moana.  However, I came to the original location on Waiola.  Like Matsumoto, they started off as a corner store that sold the treat.  Later they are known more for being the latter.  I arrived just as they opened.

I had time to look at the menu and decide on what to order.  I went with one of their popular option.  I chose passionfruit, orange, guava(POG) syrup.  Also topped with azuki beans mochi pieces sprinkled throughout.  Another favorite choice would be to add vanilla ice cream.  

Alot of meals that I have had were served in fairly large portions.  I went back to Ala Moana food court to get lunch.  Raising Cane was a recommendation for its chicken fingers.  And thats all they sell is chicken fingers with fries or as a sandwich.  I got the order with fries which came with a piece of toast. More carbs which I didnt see the point of.  The chicken was breast meat deep-fried.  I found it tasty and surprising moist.  Their dipping sauce was a great accompaniment.  There always seemed to be a line no matter what the time

Perusing the mall, a large candy/sweets store takes up a large presence on the top floor.  At the far end was an Oreo store.

From there I walked out to Ala Moana park, across the boulevard from the center.  Catching the bus to the beach

Strolled along the beach from Duke to where the beach segregated for the Sheraton.  Here I hung out for a while people watching.  People enjoying the warmth in conjunction with the mild surf.

Again I look back towards the summit of Diamond Head where I had summited a few days before.  Others have not completed their trek and look back toward me know we look at them as well.

Some katamarans take visitors on a mellow cruise past the breakers and back.  They head back among those frolicking in the blue waters.

Its the next day and I fly home.  I wanted to get some luau food before I left.  The food court opens at 9am but not all venues are open at this time.  Fortunately, the Ala Moana Poi Bowl did have the earlier hours.  This plate had the kalua pig and pork lau lau.  It was only missing the lomi salmon.  I asked to subtract the rice.  I really like their mac salad.  Its comparable to many others who offer the same but their was seasoned so that I had hints of pesto with each forkfull.  The bus to the airport was uneventful but I didnt expect the long lines for security.  By the time I got to my gate, there were beginning to board.

Videoes are being edited and will follow