Saturday, February 26, 2022

Hawaii 2022 Sunrise

An early start to the day leads to an early end.  

Jetlag persists as I wake in the early hours of 4:00am.  The next couple of hours I spent becoming conscious before leaving around 6:00am to the beach hoping to catch the sunrise in the next hour.  Its pretty still long Kalakoa except for the rumblings of a few tourists and homeless.  

The cacopheny of birds among the branches break the silence.  What was a calm breezy atmosphere was broken by a large number of birds in this banyan(?) tree on the edge of the beach.


A stone path leads to the breakwater just proud of the beach.  A great vantage point to observe the rising of the sun over Diamond Hhead.   Opening at 6:00am, stout trekkers can make it to the summit in the hour it takes for sunrise today.  As I was up there yesterday looking down, today I am down looking up.  

Though early, surfers make their way past the breakwater to the open ocean.  The weather and temperature is quite nice.  Its as warm now as it is during the height of the day back home.  More will join this lone surfer as day breaks.

The reds blaze the morning skies like fluffy cotton candy.  This vivid setting on the camera better captured the look than automatic setting


I dip my toes into the calm waters lapping up on the fine sand beach.  It is a refreshing stride trough a warm, at least to me, morning.  The waters erase my footprints to wipe away my prescence as I too will be erased in a few days time.



Its not long before sunlight washes over the beach and you can see all the early risers start their day.

Duke greets the tourists

Walking back towards the west, I walked into he International Market Place to get breakfast for the day.  There are a number of restaurants and a food hall as well as luxury retail

  Liliha Bakery at International Marketplace is my chosen for breakfast.  There are several locations but the one here is on the top floor with outdoor seating.  I didnt take advantage of their baked goods but I will the next time around

I indulge in another heavy meal of eggs florentine with portugese sausage atop cornbread.  The accompaniment of thick slices of seasoned potatoes and large glass of iced coffee.  I would have preferred hash browns or home fries.  The thick slices were somewhat hard in contrast to everything else on the plat.  Back to the hotel to rest before heading out again.

Early afternoon and I run some errands at Costco.   Ive been to the one in Hawaii Kai but my first visit to this location on Alakawa.  It seems there were some showers as I slept.  

If their typical meal consisted of a luau, Costco has them covered.  The refrigerator section has plenty of kalua pig, lomi salmon, and pork lau lau

Plenty of options for macadamia nuts from Mauna Loa for snacking to Island Princess for baking.

There were the usual items found at most domestic locations.  Of course theres also the items found that fit in more with the location that make them unique.  But the snack bar has the same humdrum stuff found at home.

Drizzle had fallen on and off the last few days.  Feeling bloated from earlier, its back to rest once again in my room to rest further.  Ive felt very tired today more than any other time during this trip.  When I woke at 3:00pm it was another late lunch/early dinner situation.  

A healthier option of a ceasar salad with bay shrimp was one of the better choices of the day.  


Afterwards, this was a two cups if ice coffee day at this coffee joint near the ABC store.  That brings an end to the day.  Further rest required for the remainder of the day