Sunday, February 20, 2022

Hawaii 2022 Diamond Head

Moonset over Ala Moana Center marks the beginning of another day. However, it will still be several hours before I get up and head over to Diamond Head to hike to the summit.  I hiked it once before in my youth and wanted to see if I still had it in me to do it again.
On the other side of the mall from Macy's is a location of Eggs N Things.  A popular breakfast chain that has locations in Japan as well.  One is just outside the entrance to Universal Studios Japan in Osaka.  My arrival was greeted by a roaming rooster who crowed to let the staff know I was here.  I was early and the staff paid no attention to him.  Thanks for trying

I ordered the crabcakes benedict with ice coffee.  I never really pay attention to what I am ordering before a big hike.  I just order what seems appealing to me at the time.  You dont think a heavy breakfast with hollandaise sauce provides the right fuel for trekking?

Instead of catching the 23 to take me directly there, I caught the 20 which dropped off at the park at the base of the crater.  I transferred to another bus for the route.  The trail for Diamond Head is .8 mile up the rim of a volcano.  

But after you get off the bus, you still need to hike to get through the rim of the crater to get to the entrance proper.  There is some parking on the outside of the rim before the tunnel.  Theres additional parking inside.

Once inside, you finally get to see the summit of the crater.  Entrance fee is $5 per person.  I believe parking is an $10.  A gift shop, snack bar and vending machines are down here as well.  There are no services along the trail so make sure you have enough water on hand.

Just to the west of the summit is an abandoned outlook

I have started what I would estimate a 2 hour walk with many rest breaks in between.  Most of the path is rock, uneven in many places.  Steps line some of trail esepcially in the steeper areas.  However, I find that as I ascend, the feeling of vertigo is stronger than before.  Although I face the steps, I hold tight my grasp on the handrails for fear that a missed step would lead to far worse  

As you progress, there are places to stop and rest.  Or stop and look up or look back.  Here I look up hoping it will be over soon.

I look back from this resting spot to the community north of the crater

I do a full 30x zoom to focus in on one of the streets across the way

This is the set of stairs before the tunnel.  It used to be a requirement to have a flashlight to get through some of the pitch black sections of the tunnel.

Now it is light up enough so that smartphone lights are not even required.  While cool and comfortable inside,the path is narrow with railings along just one side,


As you break into the light, you see a set of stairs to the right and this picture explaining the stairs.  You start by taking the path to the left to the summit.

From the summit, there is an internal passage that will bring you to these stairs to continue your descent back to the base.

Not the last set of steps but we are getting close to the end

  The summit gives quite the view of Waikiki and the surrounding coastline.  Its estimated to take an hour.  I was asked if it was worth it.  I replied No but this was the second time I have done this. 

Zooming in on the hotels of Waikiki beach.  Off in the distance I can see Ala Moana Park.  Buit I cant make out my hotel from all the nondescript highrises in the area

The Royal Hawaiian Resort stands out because of its pink exterior

Some of the pretty looking coast surrounding Diamond Head

Once I got back down, there was no  cold diet Dr Pepper waiting for me.  Settled for a pineapple smoothie as my treat for the trek.  The trek was not over as I still had to exit the crater to get to the bus stop.  My legs were stiff when I got back.  

Didnt feel like going far for late lunch/early dinner.  Told a friend I would be going to the mall and ran an errand while I was there.  Ramen and gyoza for this meal at Goma Tei.  Not well versed on shoyu ramen but it was good and got me through the rest of the day.

Again this would be a late lunch as I didnt get back to the room until 2:00-3:00pm.  I needed to wash off the sunscreen before heading back out.  I had minimally used sunscreen during this trip and was fortunate to not bee burned.  The face mask because of Covid helped to protect my face while the slathering of 50spf was good enough for the early part of the day as the February sun was not intense.  I was beat but I ahd to run a few errands before I could call it an early day