Thursday, March 5, 2015

Travelogue Japan Day 8 Mother F- - -

Yesterday I tried to buy a package ticket for transport to Mother Farm, MF.  I was informed by the attendant at the JR travel center that it was only good for two people.  Thee was no single supplement.  There was nothing special about the package except for a green car reservation.  Otherwise, it was a normal JR route.  I would however,need reservations for the shuttle from the station, she called them and put my name on the list for today.  MF is in Chiba on the Boso penninsula.  The train passes Kisarazu station.  So, you could come by way of Umihotaru.  The shuttle runs one roundtrip and coincides with the arrival/departure of a specific train to/from Tokyo.     The shuttle is just outside the east exit at the far end of the lot.  Turn left when you eit the pay gate.  100 minutes on the train and 30 on the shuttle each way.

And you are at your destination, basically a farm themed amusement park.  Admission is 1500yen for adults.  The return shuttle departs at 15:30(3:30pm)

As you would expect, there would be farm animals such as sheep.  The park is dog friendly but they have to be on leash.  There is an area set up with corrals t let the dogs run around in

Other activities include bungee jumping are relaxing on some open field

A go cart track seems a bit out of place

A mini amusement park with a ferris wheel and small kid sized rides

I wanted to start with lunch.  Several options include barbecue, fancy sit down restaurantm and this casual dining extablishment

I grabbed a table by the window.  It was early and the place was empty.  You can view some of the flowering plants.  Those structures are the other half of the park.

Looking toward the other dirction at the valley below

I ordered this platter which contained a number of items: chops, sausages, deep fired mushrooms, and a small salad

This must be popular in summer with the warm nights.  The barbecue would lend to that.  This menu as well almost screams outdoor beer fest

The main reason I came is the strawberries.  Unlike the tour, this is a you pick arrangement with the cost being 200yen for 100 grams.  They had two greenhouses for the berries.  When I arrived at the first one they said they were closed at noon.  It was only half past.  I dont know if they had a schedule for these things.  The english website and pamphlet contain just basic info.  I left disappointed.

One of the attendants ran after me consoling me with 2 berries.  They were as good as I would have expected.  This only made me madder that I couldnt get more because they didnt see fresh berries at the gift shop.  I fod the second greenhouse but no one was in attendance.

They do other fruits and veg during other times in the year.  These include blueberries and sweet potatoes.  They were also doing tomatoes at this time.  At least this had a sign posted showing a 13:00(1:00pm) start time

I strolled around until it was time to leave.  A stable affords pony rides.  There was a pen with docile sheep.  Adults and kids could easily come up and pet the sheep or touch the rams' horns.  One sheep kept dry heaving and I thought it would spew cud.  i kept my distance but should have taped it for youtube

The llama or alpaca or vicuna were next door and part of one of the animal shows they put on

A duck show conisted of a flock of ducks running back and forth and coming on command.  Overall I was not happy with my experience.  4500 yen on transportation and entrance, this doesnt include lunch. 260 minutes roundtrip.  No strawberries to speak of

I havent had a bento since landing.  Im ging to stay in tonight and grabbed something at Shinagawa station.  It was early evening and the shops were a mad house.  Utter chaos trying to figure out who was buying and who was browsing.  I started with two cream croquettes, regular and cheese.  The regular was good but the cheese was gummy because of the cheese.  This did come with a packet of loevely tomato sauce

I picked up this bento at eeashion.  One side contained thin sliced beef in a sweet bown sauce on rice.  The other was a hamburg steak on a bed of rice.

This is the last full day bfore I fly home tommorrow.  I still ahve the afternoon to fool around with but the realization that the vacation is over has already hit me hard.  As many ould feel, the time goes so quickly and wish for more.  This dread initially come on over the weekend but subsided until now.  If there is anything to post, it will be delayed