Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Travelogue Japan Day 7 What to do today

A funny thing about cell phones.  This is the first time I brought it along.  During the early days of this trip, I would find myself grabbing my phone when I boarded the train.  For those who dont know, I use the train departure chime as my ringtone.  On to this post.  Today is going to have the nicest weather of the whole trip.  A bit last minute but I was hoping to go to Mother Farm today.  This will have to wit until tommorrow.  Since I was here, I went to the Chocolatory at the Daimaru.  Last year, I went to the one at Seibu in Ikebukoro.  My 6am flight allowed me to go direvtly there and line up for the 10am opening.  Fortunately, no lines to queue up for.  I was in and out.  On my way to Rokurinsha, I noticed Garrett popcorn had a decent wait to it.  This would be consistent over several hours and days

I stepped into place at 1045 for the 11am lunch opening.  As the initial patrons pruchased tickets and sat down, the line progressed by the menu items they had pasted on the outer walls.  This amkes it more efficient as it give the people who want tsukemen a peek at what they can order.

I opted for the 1080yen Super Dip Noodle

If the current toppings are insufficient, you can pile on additional elements

Again the tsukemen here does not fail.  This slightly edges out Tetsu in taste but you cant beat the convenience and no wait of Tetsu at Sinatatsu. That little pile of spices in the bottom left of the pic is stirred into the dipping sauce.  There were additional packets on the counter should you want more.  I grabbed a few to take home for analysis

The Kit Kat store was out of a current flavor.  I made it over to the other Tokyo store in hopes they may have it in stock.  No luckm they were out too so I jut bought a few more.  A new outlet willing be opening up in Hokkaido and featuring butter flavor

Leets see whats plauing at the cinema.  American Sniper just opened I believe

You have to expct to see cute things in Japan.  Even the food has become too cute at some point.

Here is what I bought.  The left is ginger and the right is apricot

Here are the three sublme flavors: bitter with raspeberry, bitter, and white

I had some spare change to get rid of.  Went to a combini to get a frozen treat for such mild weather.

This was the last of the kiwi flavored balls.  They have a harder outer shell and soft middle.  It was a great choice while I dropped off my purchases

I dont usually bring back salty stuff but someone asked for something in that vein.  This is what I chose, KFC flavored Calbee chips.  Kinda disappinted Im not finding honey butter(korean)/shiawase butter(japanese) flavor.  They were so much in demand limits were being imposed on quantty purhase.  Celebrities were gloating over procuring some for themselves.  This is one of the things where the pice is jcked up on ebay

Where to go for dinner?  Shibuya.  What to have for dinner?  I dont know.  But, its not going to be this place on the clockwise Yamanote tracks.  Its an instant ramen joint featuring the face of Nakai from SMAP.  With all the good and nmerous ramen shops, why would anyone go here?

Made it out of the station via the Hachiko exit to the main intersection

The story of Hachiko is well known but also a sad one.  Its touching that he died after returning to the station time and time again awaiting his owner.  I have read on Rocketnews24, that there is a new statue erected showing the two finally reuniting, possibly in heaven.  The statue is not in Shibuya

Walking around, you'd be amazed at the number of restaurants, large and small, that exists inTokyo.  Its a wonder how they survive and the numbers of those that dont must be staggering

I wound up at Shibuya Mark City and happened by this tonkatsu place.

The set I ordered came with tonkatsu, ebi fry, menchi katsu, and deep fried eggplant.  It was presented with pickles, chawan mushi, asari miso soup, rie and cabbage.  Free refills on the latter three.  

By the time dinner was over, the sun had set and the lights were more brilliant for it.  Shame to waste a nice evening since I havent really had one here.  But I got a morning train to catch tommorrow

Before retiring, I got the peach balls.  These were great too.  theres still grape too