Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Travelogue Japan Day 6 Costco/Ikea

Ive tried to visit Costcos on my travels if I can figure out how to geet there.  In Japan alone Ive already visited two.  Some a little easier than others.  However, both required quite a bit of walking from the train station.  This time around, Saitamas location gets the privelege of my visit.  They are conveiently located near Shin Misato station.  The short walk is made more pleasurable via the Lala Port shopping mall.   It doesnt need to be stated that I was indoors during the walk, another plus.

A lot of the usual stuff.  For some reason, I never checked out the beef.  Heres a selection of some nice quality marbled meat.  Wha I wouldnt give to be able to pcik up one fo these packs and throw it on the grill tonight.

The rotissserie chicken gets purchased quite a bit at home.  Paella would also be a nice option to take home on occasion

Its been noted their sushi selection looks quite good and in copious amounts.  Heres a large platter and the price look inexpensive

I got to remember to get butter at home.  Too bad we cant get it in a convenient tube form

In California, egg prices have jumped recebtly due to changes in how chickens are kept.  A law that was voted in by the citizens.  This 20 count  package is a great price in comparison

I was hoping to find something the potato chip section but ws disappointed to not find it.  So, it was on my way out of the store.  You can barely exit without seeing the food court.  Same menu as any other in Japan so far.  

However, most offered clam chowder on my last visits.  Potato bean curry soup is a departure.  Not a japanese curry but more of an Indian curry thats in a runny consistency for soup.  It was ok if you prefer Indian curry.  Not worth it for me to try again

Again through Lala Port and out the other side gets us to Ikea.  Last year I picked up some foldable organizers for my luggage  

This time around my stroll around the big box store proved fruitless.  ot wanting to go empty handed, I might as wel have lunch

Aside from the items on the overhead menu, some foods can picked up as you progress with the line to the cashier.  Chicken wings, sausage, and croquette as side dishes

I selected a cold appetizer platter and the roast beef with fries.  The platter consisted of pickles, asparagus, hame, boiled egg, mini shrimp salad, smoked salmon, and vegetable medallion.  The thick sliced roast beef was ok and was accompanied by a bit of creamed horseradish and a brown gravy alongide the option of fries or rice

A lengthy train trip and a transfer at Nishi Kikunbunji brings me back to Kichijoji.  My intent is to have dinner at Satou Steakhouse ofr a nice bit of Matsuzaka steak, another type of wagyu beef.

Last year when I was here there was a consisten line downstairs at street level for the mnchi katsu.  The line is still here but the length will vary.  Their number two product is the potato croquette.  Both can be pruchased warm from the deep fryer

Its still kind of early for dinner so a walk was in order.  Yodobashi has a branch here if you're inclined

Just outside the northern entrance ot the JR station.  As I walked around, I had some time to think.  It would be nice to share the experience of this steak dinner with someone other than myself.  Good food is meant to be shared.  I reveresed my decision and will plan to come back when I am not travelling alone.  Who knows, the exchange rate might get better and that would make the meat tasted that much better.

I still neeed to eat dinner.  I made a purchase and went back to the room to dine and relax.  I got 2 menchi katsu and a croquette, meat and potatoes.

The croquette was a let down as it was pretty plain.  No filling or other discernable spices or flavors to be tasted.  The baseball sized beef treats were springy to the bite.  I enjoyed every bit of the tender met and heavy onion flavor.  Maybe not as good as the steak would have been but I was still very happy with my choice