Saturday, February 28, 2015

Travelogue Japan Day 3 Chinese New Year's Celebrations

Circumstances promoted my being in Yokohama during the Lunar New Year celebration.  Since I was in attendance I may as well stick around for the parade on this nice Saturday afternoon.  I was surprised by the size of the crowd.  Never had it been this big on a previous trip

The area was particularly populated with alot of people.  Good weather, weekend, and festivities all contributed to the turnout.  I am here a little before the parade starts and wander the streets

Much the same as I saw last night.  Few people were around last night and walking the streets was much easier.  Tons more folks spilling onto the streets in a combo of waiting in line for a treat then standing around to enjoy.

A handful of shrines and temples are scattered throughout

I stationed myself near the visitor center with a step to perch myself over the rest of the crowd.  This provided nothing to the aprade watching experience.  It may have been better than being on street levl in the crowd but not as good as being on the curb as the parade passes.

Firecrackers in the distance getting nearer sound the arrival of the parade participants.  There were the usual costumed entrants 

The mandatory lion dancers

Two sets of dancers stirred the energy of the crowd with their frenetic jumping about.  

What parade would be completed without a dragon as well.  The crowds reached out to touch the dragon, possibly for good luck, as they brushed by onlookers.  In a matter of minutes the whole thing was over and people began to disperse.  I was expecting more pageantry as the one back home lasts for hours and is usually televised.  We also have a queen and her court.  I took some video and may upload if I dont get too lazy about it.