Friday, February 27, 2015

Travelogue Japan Day 2 Yokohama

I check in and drop off my bag.  I was giifted with a shiso lemon liqeur.  First time the chain has ever given me alcohol.  Located near Bashamichi station, itis an easy walk to a number of places like the Red Brick Warehouses.  Minato Mirai, Chinatown and Motomachi were within my walking abilities.  Cosmo World and the Cup Ramen Museum is a short detour from my intended route

Formerly used to house goods, the structures were convert in the late 80's to shopping complex with a few places to eat

On a prevous visit, I bypassed this attraction thinking it didnt really suit my interests

Now that I have been here, I can make an educated option and say that m first impressions were correct.  Boutiques, fasion and jewelry make up the bulk of the retailers.  Cafes and a food court fill the remaining spaces.  An area was set aside to document the history with artifacts and displays

At the far end next to Ykohama Bay, There are views of Yokohama BayBridge and the busy waters

Looking back inland, the skyline towards Minato Mirai display Landmark Tower to the left and the sail shaped hotel to the right

A note about Akaikutsu.  On a previously mentioned visit, there is a shuttle bus that takes riders to some of the most popular spots around Yokohama.  Atthe time, there was one route bridging the MM and Chinatown arreas.  Now there are two routes that originate from Skuragicho station. I was unaware and mad the mistake of gong by the old pamphlet.  Fortunately, te pricess and the overall routes have not changed.  100yen for a trip and all day pass for about 500yen.  I walked to Motomachi from my hotel after taking a loop on the Chinatown route.  I will come back to Chinatown in a bit

Another retail destination for shoppers of fashion and jewelry.  Im guessing theseshops wold be on the lower of high end goods?

What would I know.  I just came to stroll the streets this evening and see what the fuss was all about

Ive gone from end to end and decided not to retace my path but to peruse the side street

Though there was still places of little interest to me, I found the feel of this strret a little more inviting.  Fashion and fashion goods along with Italian and pasta joints along the way

This corner afforded those with the so cal surfer style/image

On the way back. I diverted to Chinatown.  its the largest in Japan

The lunar New Year is pon us and there will be celebratios and parade tommorrow

Having a fairly large Chinatown and chinese community back home, I am really spoiled for chinese food.  Prices are comensurate with tourist attractions.  A regular pork bun being 300-600yen

After strolling through a few of the ,ain street and little alleyways, I was tempted to buy some dumplings but decided to forgo that and have a sit down meal elsewhere

On the walk back, I was looking to dine at the Jonathons near the hotel.  Before I amde it back, I spied my favorite chain curry joint, Coco Ichiban.  Normally I would start with the fried shrimp salad.  One of the few ways I gt my veggies.  I had to settle for the chicken as the shrimp was not on the english menu.  I summarily drenched it in a miso salad dressing

As they are want to do  this time of year, you can win one of 180000 commemorative spoons in a drawing when ordering the special curry.  Tried it once, didnt win a spoon and rued the day I ever gave it validity.  The special mother's curry is good with alot of vegetables.  I ordered a new item I had seen beffore.  Soft boiled egg with a ground chicken patty.  This was tasty when the richness of the yolk added extra body to the curry sauce. The slight spiciness drove away the winds that stirred this evening and would intrude the establishment upon entry/exit of a customer.  This fit the bill nicely