Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Travelogue-Incheon Day 1, Wolmi

This morning, I woke up and looked out the windows. I knew I was close because it did not take the taxi driver long. There were several turns that threw me off

I opted to take the ferry as my preferred way of getting to the mainland.  Not knowing the bus route, I knew to get the bus back at the airport.  As it turns out Bus 202 had a stop around the curner from the hotel.  Along the way, I noticed the bus driver had a certain disregard for the red lights.  Most drivers in Incheon, it seems, treat red lights like flashing reds if they stopped at all.  Anyway, it took about 30 min to get to the ferry terminal.  It accommodates a number of cars but none were presnt on this ride which also took another 30 min

Off in the distance is Incheon Bridge.  There is another one that connec Yeonjong to the mainland.  There are several ships anchored and chugging about in the harbor

We are about to make land and the crew ready the platform for disembarkment at Wolmi.

Womi is a little seaside resort like Santa Cruz, CA or Seqside Heights, NJ.  There are rides and aracades and such.  The most prevalent businesses were the sseafood restaurants.  Many offered sliced raw fish and others had seafood stews including ingredients of all types.  Like many places that I have gone to on this trip, the crowds are sparse to none.  Granted, it still feels like winter and that tends to keep alot of prospective visitors away.

It didnt really take much time to look around.  Their "Culture Street" was a joke and not what it was hyped up to be.  Plus, in the previous picture, you can see the rail of a mnorail.  I was planning on going to the Chinatown near Incheon Station.  The monorails's terminus was nearby so it was the clear option since I didnt know the routes of the local buses.  Well, as luck would have it, it was either not running or has not started service at all.  The only thing the rail was good for was to guide me out of Wolmi.  It was a long walk to my next destination.  It was one that I did not expect, enjoy, or welcomed.