Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Digital camera

Digital photography has become a hobby of mine over the past couple of years. I started with videoes and gradually moved to the still camera. I still currently own all the digital cameras I have ever had. I started with a Canon S330, then Canon SD500, and now a Canon SD850. Most of the pics seen in this blog have been taken with the latter two cameras. I do prefer small compact cameras that I can fit into my pocket and pull out when needed. I loved the Canons for their durable metal bodies and photo quality. However, I have not had much success with their low light and night pictures. I have considered getting a new camera and have narrowed it down to the Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3. Each has their own advantages/disadvantages.

G10:
Bigger
Better zoom
Auto lens cover
Wide angle may be compensated in stitch mode, as I have found in my current camera

LX3:
Smaller
only 2.5x zoom
Manual lens cap
Better wide angle
Possibly better low light/night shots

I am leaning towards the LX3. What do you think? However, the Olympus EP1 may be a contender but price puts it out of the running. You have the ability to switch lenses like the DSLRs.