Friday, September 16, 2016

Barbecue Travelogue Austin Day 4 w/pics

Final day of the trip and theres a number of errands to run.  Theres a location in Lexington thats open only on Saturdays at a very early 8am.   The drive is about an hour northeast of Austin


Ive placed an order with Snows and Im going to pick it up.  They have items that are frozen that could facilitate transport.  In addition, they smoke up some fresh meats. 

Ordering in advance saves some time.  I was not sure what kind of lines were involved but I wanted to avoid them since I have to get back to catch a flight home.  The lines did seem failry short today and there was a chance of sprinkles in the forecast

Theres a couple of smokers going as well as some patrons already enjoying  their purchases


I opted to get the frozen items.  This is a Tootsie sampler: beef brisket, pork steak and 2 rings of beef sausage.

On the way back, I took a detour to Taylor.  I have not had breakfast yet and it was nearing lunch.  Louie Mueller has been the point of origin for a number of bbq businesses

Apprentice pit masters and family members have made their start here

The darkened walls speak to a long history of smoke filling the building

The menu is much the same as a number of other places.  They also offer baby back ribs in addition to pork spareribs



Much like the day before, Im here for the beef short ribs.  My order with pickles, onions, and sauce.

A slightly larger serving than Micklethwait but prepared in the same way.  Except they were not as heavy on the salt and pepper rub,  I could take a bite into the outer portions of the meat without having to rub off the rub

The sauce was more of a jus with some onions cooked into it and sweet note.  It made the tender delicious meat feel lighter and less greasy.  I liked it so much I ordered 2 more to take home.  Afterwards, I headed back to Franklin.  I had previously placed a preorder with them as well for a whole brisket.   This one would be picked up hot off the smoker.  Double wrapped in butcher paper and placed in 2 plastic shopping bags.  I was surprised none of the grease ran from the butcher paper as it was totally soaked by the time I got home.  I had to decline the loaf of bread, accompaniments, and the sauce.  I could not carry liquids in my carry on and I was afraid the 2 one pint containers would open and spill sauce all over the inside of my checked in suitcase.  All this meat was brought home to share with family and friends

I did not get a chance to sample all the places I had in mind.  Alot of it due to me over indulging but it will leave me with places to go to when I go back