Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Barbecue Travelogue Austin Day 2 w/pics

The barbecue captial of Texas is what Lockhart likes to call itself.  About 30 minutes south of Austin, no bbq roadtrip would be complete without a stop here.  there are 4 main restaurants: Kreuz, Smitty's, Black's and Chisholm Trail.  The first establishment as you enter town from the north is Kreuz.  Its quite a large operation.  It moved here from its smaller original location a while back.

To the side of the building is a fenced in woodpile with cords and cords of oak for the smoker.  by far the largest I saw

Once inside the main dinig hall opens up to the left.  With windows open and not air conditioned, the environment inside replicates the outside but under shade.

A long wide hallway leads to the smokers where your orders are placed.

What to order?  consult the menu of available smoked meats

The smokers you see before are typicla of the smokers that I  have seen when they are located within the establishment.  Bricks on the outside with heavy metal lids and fireboxes on the ground to the side

Weights help to counter balance the heavy lids to make opening them much easier

Ive placed my order and recieved my meat.  Though not as hot as Austin has been, I elect to dine in the air conditioned dining area.

It looks paltry but this was initially half of what I had intended to order.  Quarter pound of fatty brisket.  another quarter pund of smoked prime rib would not be ready for another 30 minutes

Unfortunately, I didnt get around to the prime rib.  The brisket had dried out very quickly and landed in last place for the brisket rankings.  The reviews I read had the majority ranking this as better than Smittys.  Due to the brisket, I opted to not order the prime rib.

Also available in the cooler room, side dishes, trimmings, drinks and dessert can be ordered

After having had breakfast, basically, I need some time before proceeding to the next eatery.  Near Smitty's is the county courthouse

The building is the most photographed edifice in town.  Its not hard to believe since there is not that much to see or do in the city.

It turns out this was the building I photographed the most during my excursion.

I walked around the courthouse of this small town





Fron the clock on the highest spire, it looked like it was time enough for me to get back to the task at hand

Smittys business address is on Commerce and this is their storefront.  This entrance brings you to the dining tables.

However, its the rear entrance off Colorado that most will enter from.  This will bring you right to the smokers. This was the original location of Kreuz before they moved to the new location.  This location was the reopened as you see it today

Off to the side is their fenced in woodpile

As you enter from the rear, be wary of the firebox at your feet.  Quite a bit of heat is given off from it even on the hottest of days.  Order your food, pay, and proceed on through the doors

The front entrace at Commerce.  Long communal tables

Again, sides, drinks, and desserts are located at a seperate counter from where the meats are ordered.

My order is served on the ever present butcher paper.  What we have here is a duplicate to what I would have ordered from Kreuz.  quarter pund each of fatty brisket and smoked prime rib.  Moist and juicey and it stayed that way while I ate, the brisket rose to second place dropping Franklin to third.  The prime rib was great.  I wish I could have tried it before.  I regret my hasty actions now.

At this point, Ive had pounds and pounds of meat and pretty much nothing else.  My enoyment of brisket began to wane this day.  I no longer had the stomach for it.  My menu choices will now switch to something else.  As I have already seen the sights, there was nothing keeping me here in town.  With my belly full of meat from the previous day and today, I didnt have the appetite to come back to Lockhard to try another restaurant.  Black's is just a stones throw away but it will have to wait for another trip.