Saturday, February 28, 2015

Travelogue Japan Day 3 Raumen

Can you believe that I went a full three days before tucking in to a bowl of ramen?  I know, right?  Since I was in Yokohama, th Shin Yokohama Raumen Museum was a good place to satisfy this dilemma.  Third visit in total.  When looking around the first floor level, its much les museum than in previous years.  A lrage portion of it has been dedicated to a slot car racing track and the sales of toys.  The gift shop has expanded as well.  Possibly due to the Cup Ramen Museum, there is no existene of this exhibit whatsoever.  There used to be a mug of instant ramen with a mug of Schwarzenegger.  Yeah that Schwarzenegger 

Little has changed in this throwback to 1950's Japan,  B2F, as they call it, has a courtyard surrounded by a number of restauratnts and a stage for performers.  The two restaurantsin back had consistently long ines and wait times while the othersebbed and flowed.  On the left is Najima-tei who serves a form of tonkotsu ramen with a milky broth.  Next door is Muku zweite,a place from Germany that produces tonkotsu shoyu ramen.  Pizza and pasta flour are combined to reate their noodles.

I came to try Narumi ippudo.  I have enjoyed a bowl at their location in Meguro.  Like the last place mentioned, their ramen has some european influences in their soup.  They combine french onsomme with dashi in their consomme noodles.  This may or may not suit the japanese tongue but I am swaying towards the latter since no line ever presented themselves through the night

Mini sized bowls are on offer to let you better sample all the offerings

This  was a very nice bowl of soup and and noodles.  I liked the broths tasted and arome of fried onions.   ome earty notes are provided by mushrooms found dredging th bottom.  The noodles were sraight and firm.  The beef ramen fad, I uess, has come and gone, but the great meaty flavor from this slice adds to the experience

I was determined for a seond bowl as I skipped lunch for this intent.  Since I had a full sized bowl, I couldnt dive straight into another.  I passed the time going from courtyard to mezzanine, and gift shop.

The remainder of shops ring the mezzanine above the courtyard.  Nidai-me Genkotsu-ya uses the saly soy sauce blend for the soup.  A decent consistent line awaited those who would partake

In between the shops, the dark dingy look of the passageway harkens back to a time during the war.  Sounds of children playing and cats meowing are piped in.  The occassional air raid siren seemed out of place

Both the upper and lower shops are in a state of forever twilight.  The cielings blaze with the hues  of the setting sun

Performers work for their ramen as adults and kids look on.  Movie posters add to the nostalgic feel they are invoking  

After some time, I was ready to take on that second bowl.  Two places serve miso ramen.  The first serves a seafood style of miso.  Though Im not opposed to it, the lines developed more than Narumi Ippudo but thats not saying much.  Instead I chose Sumire
 

The lines are consisten and seomtimes get a bit long.  This is touted as "the most famous miso ramen shop in Japn".  Got up to the ticket machine.  Chose the first one as this is normally the shops best seller.  I wonder if they on occassion put a diffeent option in that place to push a poor selling product?

Ticket purchased, stub taken, and seated after a wait.  It was a good mso ramen with curly yellow noodles.  The soup was on par.  Gound pork instead of a slice cha siu did not detract from this meal.  I wouldnt go out of my way for this but would stop in if nearby