Thursday, January 7, 2010

Japanese Hotels

Many of you probably want to visit Japan but have not yet. You will no doubtedly need a place to stay if you dont have friends or relatives that can put you up. Sure, you've heard of the capsule hotels where you get a room the size of a coffin. A coffin with all the amenities like tv, radio, etc. There are communal areas like lounge and bathrooms. There are western hotels in Japan and the rooms are spacious as you would find in the states. However, if you decide to stay at a Japanese hotel, you will have to brace yourself for the small footprint that it covers. Much more spacious than a capsule room, theres just enough room for a bed and a desk and space to walk around them. You get your own bathroom as well. Seeing as how I just need the room to sleep and keep my stuff in, I got used to it pretty quickly. I am hesitant to say where I stay when Im in Tokyo. The rooms tend to fill up very quickly and I dont need all you people taking up what is left. I will say that its a convenient location for me. Close to the train station with plenty of combini(convenience store), restaurants and some small grocery stores. There is also a collection of ramen shops across the street. This is a business hotel chain so there arent alot of luxuries but the chain does have a coin laundry and some locations serve a japanese breakfast that includes onigiri, miso soup, tea, coffee, and pickles. Gee, I hope I havent given it away!

I have also stayed at a rental apartment and 2 other hotels. The hotels were part of the Prince chain. They have several convenient locations in Tokyo and throughout Japan. One is located just across the street and north of Shinjuku station. Another is across the stree from Shinagawa station. There is one located very close to the base of Tokyo Tower. One is found at the Sunshine City mall complex in Ikebukoro. The other hotel that I stayed at recently was part of the Star hotel chain in Shinjuku. It cost a little more than my usual place but its a great location of you plan to go to Shinjuku alot. I cant say enough about how fast their internet connection is. I could have finished surfing the whole internet if I had stayed a few more days :)

The apartment that we rented was quite spacious compared to the hotel rooms. This one was a short walk from the Showa dori exit in Akihabara. Another great location due to the number of combinis around. There was a 24 hour chain curry restaurant and 24 hour ramen shop. The ramen shop is very tasty. I find myself going back even if Im not staying in the area. And, of course, the close proximity to Akiba and Yodobashi is always a plus. The apartment had 2 bedrooms, 1.5 bath, kitchen, and living room. There was room for 4 in the 2 bedrooms and oen could sleep on the couch or make room on the heated living room floor. It hade a TV and internet connection. The only downside was you had to take out your own trash. In Tokyo, you have to seperate amongst recyclable, combustable, paper, etc. I forget how many categories there were. Each category had its own pick up day. Fortunately, we didnt have to worry about the latter.