Thursday, January 21, 2010

Air Travel

Air travel is the quickest way to traverse long distances. I have gone back and forth from Japan many times and I have to admit, I dont take to the air travel as well as I would wish. The biggest thing for me is not being able to sleep on the flight. The best I can do are short naps here and there. This helps very little as it keeps me in a very groggy state. One that lingers once I have landed. To compund the matter, the flights that I take usually depart around 11am. This means that I have just woken up from a nights sleep and not ready to sleep again. By the time I land 10-11 hours later, this would be the normal time that gets close to when I hit the sack. My airline, because I am enrolled in their frequent flier program, does not have any flights that leave later in the day like 6pm-midnight.

Why cant I sleep? For one, the low, slow drone of the engine noise will keep me up for the first few hours but I can deal with that. Second, it usually much too warm for me in the airplane. Even with just a tshirt on, it would be nice if they could turn it down a notch. Lastly, I get a slight twinge of motion sickness. It has gotten better and better but its still there. Its like that feeling when you know someone has their fingering hovering around you but they are not touching you.

I have planned a trip to Seoul in a few months and am not looking forward to a possible 13 hour flight. If you have any suggestions, I am willing to hear you out