Monday, February 20, 2023

Japan 2022/2023-Day 9 Yokohama

I have been to Yokohama many times before.  However those times involved passing through Yokohama station without hesitation.  Today will be the first time I look around the space around the station.  PS, this was the night that I videoed the light show that I presented out of order.

Looking out from what I deem the front of the station facade out to the buildings erected around

The bay makes it way inland through a series of rivers that snake around the property

I wanted to see if this would be typical of the many transportation hubs that are used by many many locals each day.  This did not disappoint with its collection of shopping, dining, and entertainment

A nearby coffee shop focused solely on candy apples.  I never would have thought about such a cafe

Im not imaginative enough to come up with the thought of the different toppings they have available.  My thinking is just caramel or candy coating

Pachinko parlors intermixed with arcades are the typical entertainment venues.  Some places also include movie theaters.  A few places have bowling alleys and maybe batting cages

There is also a Yodobashi branch  at the station front.  I did not bother to browse the floors.  I assume its similar to the other locations I have been to and Im not shopping for any electronics at this time

Instead, the food court, in the basement level, was of interest to me during the mid day hour

Curry rice is what I settled on at Gogo

Passed by some tempting looking dessert on my way out.  I dont have much of a sweet tooth and some dietary restrictions keep these at arms reach

Window shopping costs no money nor calories, sugar/carb intake, etc


With the curiosity of what Yokohama station is like, I continue on to Sakuragicho near Minato Mirai, MM, where the majority of my travel experience of Yokohama if found

Landmark Tower is the landmark of the area.  The tallest structure in Yokohama overlooks MM and the bay front area



I luck out once again with a room on the top floor of the hotel.  The east facing window looks out to the World Porters mall a few blocks away

Its at this time that I begin a walk towards the mall, by the red brick warehouse, and to Osanbashi terminal

As a port city, theres alot of marine activity and related services

Bankoku bridge is one of the bridges that connects the island that World Porters and other tenants reside on.  Cup Noodle Museum, Cosmo World, and the Red Brick warehouses are its neighbors




Just as the clock hit 5pm, the electric playground lit up

A quick stroll through the complex.  Theres a large area themed with Hawaiian shops and dining.  Just as the 50th state is popular with Americans, so it is with Japanese.  And yet another gashapon shop with a large number of machines, more than the average

Back outside, dusk has fallen.  It feels like it comes about much earlier than at home

The cruise ship would become a visual obstruction once I reach Osanbashi terminal


The Red Brick warehouse is a featured array of shops in historical buildings that served the port city.  They hold festivals and other events in the large open area

Not sure why they would call the ice skaint rink, "Dance with ghost"   Is there fable of the dead where they come back to ice skate?  Is this kind of attraction a draw for lost souls?

The living are drawn because its fun and they are drawn to the gaiety

With some long shutter and you squint very hard, the participants look like ghosts

The blurring of the speeding skaters create translucent event goers

The dirt particles on the lens look like spirit orbs


Getting close to the terminal and it has gotten dark

looking back at the colorful skyline of Minato Mirai.  The brightly lit ferris wheel stands out among the buildings

At the entrance of the ship terminal was this structure that looks like Tokyo Big Sight.  For a few nights, it was bathed in projection mapping and accompanying music

You can drive up to the drop off area at the terminal proper

There was only the one cruise ship docked.  However, there were a number of cars that ould drive up, turn around and drive back out without dropping anyone off.  Some were sports cars zipping in and out

The end of pier is dotted with blue LEDs and a welcome sign in white,.  Flashing LEDs gave the effect of psparkling, twinkling stars

Looking back toward the city from thefarthest point on the pier with the cruise shippartiallyh blocking some of the view

The MM area aglow with the lights of the season.  The light show will begin again shortly

The powerful beam of light from atop the Intercontinental Hotel appears almost light a Gundam beam saber

Either side of the termin aswash in blue and psarklies

The south side has Marine Tower, Yamashita Park, Gundam Base and other notable sights and attractions that can be easily accessed via the Akai Kutsu bus as well as other public transportation

Others enjoying the field of blue during the brisk night

Most times, warnings are not put up unless something has befallen someone.   Imagine walking on the wooden planks barefoot and a gigantic splinter just through your foot as you apply weight during the down step.

A bright ship goes about its cruise of the bay.  Possibly a dinner cruise or just sightseeing

From in betweeen the buildings I see my smaller hotel amongst the larger ones



Encountering the electric playground one again on my return journey.  This time I elect to walk amongst the lights instead of around them

Others walk through as well but the sizeable geodesic dome entices wanderers to enter for a selfie under the haxagonal structure

From my room, I can zoom right into the mall
 

To the left is a row of windows above the Aeonb sign

That row of windows peers into the Saizeriya restaurant within

Diners are having their evening meals totally unaware that I can see them.  If I were a stalker...

For some reason, I decided to have dinner here.  I didnt want to repeat any of the family restaurants that I have been to on this trip.  I did feel like pasta but that was no excuse to come back here.  Many places of this kind also offer pasta plates


I kinda feel like someone is watching me...creepy

Pasta vongole and the drink bar ice cappucino.  That was the drink of choice with a majority of my meals.  Many of the sodas did not come in the diet variant.  Not big into teas.  Even though it was nippy outside, I did not opt for much of the hot beverages.  By the way, the beige and teal egg is usd to call the wait staff should you need personal assistance

Been in the mood for fried seafood all throughout my time time in Japan.  Indulged in some fried shrimp to sate the urge.  This was one of the few places to not employ the automated robots even though another location did use them