Monday, February 13, 2023

Japan 2022/2023-Day 8 observing New Year holiday

Today is Monday and the observance of the New Year holiday is taking place as some workers have the day off and the government offices are closed.  I had decided to go to Shibuya Sky but decided to purchase at the door tickets instead of online.  Turns out tickets were sold out and I was frozen out from going to the observation deck.  So, I had to settle for the view from the 14th floor where the ticket counter is
Across is Miyashita Park where I was a few days ago looking up at Shibuya Sky.  This neighboring window was at some art showing on the same floor.  I wasnt the only person to saunter in to take pictures


Off in the distance you can look past Yoyogi towards Shinjuku.  Yes, there is still a Tower Records living and breathing in Tokyo.  Its the crystal egg!!

I headed up to TMG via subway hoping beyond hope that they would be open

As i expected, the government was observing New Year's day holiday and not only both towers but the whole building was closed




I found the last Stargate on Earth.  If I can only find the DHD


Tonight will be the last night in Shinjuku before I move on to Yokohama tomorrow.  So Im going to have dinner at a place where I had my first all you can eat experience in Japan

Momo Paradise was the first all you can eat joint that an acquaintance reccommended.  It has changed since the last visit and I think for the better.

I opted for broth based hotpot as opposed to sukiyaki soy based medium.  Theres a self serve veg and dessert bar.  I had 2 helpings of tofu, cabbage, onions, and mushrooms to balance out the meal

The set that I choose has pork and beef options.  I only had the beef and of that all 4 of the 5 available cuts:chuck roll, shoulder clod, aitchbone, and rump.

In addition to ponzu and sesame dipping sauces, we have the additional 5 sauces below.  The garlic vinegar was , what I thought, was the best pairing with all the cuts

The favorable ranking is determined by how much I consumed of any given offering.  I polished off all four plates and requested another plate of the top 2.  Previously, the establishment was hectic with densely packed tables and capacity to max.  Now, I almost felt like I had personal service

The dessert bar had 4 types of ice cream, cake, fruit cocktail, and mochi.  Matcha ice cream and amori apple sorbet.

Hard to tell but theres all 4 ice creams in the single plate.  The vanilla was vanilla and standard, nothing special.  The apple sorbet was cold juicey bite into the fruit.  The flavor and aroma fill the mouth and nasal passages.  Matcha was bold and slightly bitter.  Most times this flavor of ice cream tends to be sweet.  The bitterness goes well with the creamy texture.  Lastly, the kinako ice cream has sweet balck beans.  The beans were fairly large and offer a slightly different mouth feel to the ice cream.  The ice cream itself did taste like the powder that I have only had with warabi mochi.  The 3 frozen desserts were a great way to cap off dinner