Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Japan 2022/2023-brief recap part 2

Day 7 New Years Day has Comiket going on at Odaiba but I will not even check it out.  This is the day people look for lucky bags at retailers.  I was at Akihabara and there were folks with lucky bags in hand, some with several. Went to get ramen but Kouraken was closed because of the holiday.  This became a day of rest.  Retiring to the room in the late afternoon, grabbin a quick dinner at Matsuya and catchin up on alot of lost sleep

Day 8 was not of much note.   The New Year holiday was observed which made it difficult for me.  I went to get access to Shibuya Sky but the day of tickets were all sold out.  There was an adjacent office next to the ticketing area where I could get some aerial views of the crossing.  As an alternatve, the TMG might be open?  Nope, because of the observance both towers were closed.  I struck out but I needed to pack so I did that before going out to dinner.  Went to a familiar location, Mo Mo Paradise.  This was the first AYCE place we went to Japan.  It seemed to have faded away.  However, Nabezo showed up and even then they later became Mo Mo Paradise again.  Theres a more upscale feel.  For one, they offer AYCE wagyu A5 shabu shabu or sukiyaki for 10000.  The regular course is 50000 for beef and/or pork.  The pork option is 4000.  Drinks are not included.  The wait staff were not as rushed as I last remembered due to the reservation system in place.  I had 4 cuts of beef.  When you see the pictures, you will see how I ranked them.  I wimped out after 6 servings of beef and 2 plates of veg.  Dessert was good and I was surprised by the ice cream.  The green tea was strong and slightly bitter.  The aomori apple sorbet had my taste buds reveling like the turning of the year.  Kinako?  I didnt think I would like this but it surprised me.  The sweetend black beans added a different texture.  Vanilla was vanilla.

Day 9 moved to Yokohama where I checked out the area outside of Yokohama station.  Looked around the World Porters mall near the Cup Noodle Museum an Cosmo World.  After dinner I walked to Oshanbashi to take in views of the city skyline.   I was pleased to find there was a light show every half hour utlitizing the buildings and ferris wheel.

Day 10 will be just getting some curry at Yokosuka then heading to the airport for the return journey.  Will be having a layover in Honolulu that will give me more than enough time to bus and grab lunch and dinner before flying home via LA