Monday, January 9, 2023

Japan 2022/2023-Arrival

 The hardest part of travel can be the travel itself.  More on that in a later post.  It all starts on a very early flight out to Honolulu before landing in Haneda the next day.  The layover is short and a nice break to a 10-12 hour flight.
There was a problem with entertainment center display that could not be totally fixed with a reboot.  So, the mother and son were moved to other seats.  One of the few things I have experienced, especially on domestic flights, the freedom of a whole row to myself.  In addition, there was more legroom compared to the domestic flight to HNL.

ANA served a snack and beverage before main meal service.  A packet of rice crackers and some cold green tea

Our crew for this leg of the flight serving the anticipated meal

This was definitely filling and satisfying as well.  Whenever I can I like to choose a japanese airline over a domestic airline on flights to Japan.

Now I did not go immediately to the bathroom right after the meal.  But I did have to go some time after.  This 787 had a bidet.   So did the return flight to Hawaii on another 787 ANA flight.

So I can hit the ground running,  the Keikyu line will get from Haneda to Shinagawa in a matter of a few moments.  Prior to this, the Japanese government had digitized the quaratine, customs and immigration process.  There were previous iterations but the Visit Japan Website was the one in place for my entry to the country.  After filling out the forms and installing the app, QR codes are provided for each requirement.  They didnt scan the quarantine code but just made sure you had it.  Immigration scanned their code as they took you picture and fingerprints.  Finally, after getting your bags but before you leave the customs area, you need your final barcode and passport scanned at scattered kiosks.  Lastly, automated gates will perform facial recognition before you enter Japan

Before leaving the airport, I had to exchange some cash.  I wish I could have taken advantage the high of 150yen to the dollar.  However it did not stay up there long and quickly dropped to normal.  Still the exchange rate was good at 130yen

There are some notable changes at the station.  The small department store at the entry to the station has been closed in addition to another small grocery store and 7 11.  I used to rely on the grocery store at the basement of the department store when I felt lazy or didnt feel like venturing out for food.  Fortunately, a building went up next to the hotel that has a grocery store.  

The same Keikyu line that brought me from the airport to Shinagawa could also take me to Osiage(Skytree) station as it becomes the Asakusa subway line at the next station, Sengakuji.

There are several Christmas Markets around Tokyo that all end tonight, Christmas Day.  Some are free while others require admission and your time may be limited.  Though not the largest, the Solamachi Christmas Market was free and held at the plaza of Skytree







There were alot more people that I expected.  I would have thought most people would have been home spending time with friends or family


It did look as if most of those who showed up were couples


There were options for food and drink at the market.  Somewhat typical fare like sausages, gluhwein, pretzels, etc were being sold.
,

With the number ofpeople in attendance, the lines for each stall were pretty long.  Longer than what I had patience for.

I went to seek out other sustenance but these large japanese malls dont have a straightforward floorplan.  I was going to look for KFC.  I had lunch at a branch here several years ago.  

Seems that location of KFC is no longer here.  I missed out on the tradition of the KFC Christmas dinner


On my way out,  I passed the Kirby Cafe and I kept passing it

Videoes for all available days will be posted after the picture posts