Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Travelogue Tokyo-Day 3 Walking the Yamanote Line

We start this leg of the walk at Shinagawa station.


As we walk down the street, you can see this is a quiet business area with few restaurants or retail shops to help liven the place up

Looking across to the east the tracks and trains are visible from the open lot.  Most of the time there are building obscuring the tracks


Last year, I was in attendance for part of the Tokyo City Marathon.  The route took i past down and up part of the street with the turnaround happening back at the station.  Speaking of station, there is the Sengakuji subway station located here.  Previously, this was the furthest I had walked this part of the loop



As you walk some of these streets, you begin to learn things.  Looking down this street, you can see Tokyo Tower.  It looks very close doesnt it?   I could almost detour and head for it


Ive reached the first milestone, Tamachi station.  there has been talk about putting a station between here and where I started.  Apparently, its one of the longest spans between stops

First time in the station as I have never had to disembark here before.  The pass thru to the other side

Not familiar with the Shibuara area.  Almost styed there one time due to hotel arrangements

I blieve Shibaura borders Tokyo Bay

The way dog legs to the left as does the rail line that parallels it

Frequently saw this canal as the train passed this area.  Now we see it from the street side

I had underestimated how long this would take for me to complete the walk.  It was nearing noon and I had a small breakfast.  Couldnt resist going in to Yoshinoya

I ordered the large bowl of the kalbi don.  Didnt really taste much of a difference beteween it and their normal gyu don.  Omori for a large serving

Had I a little more fortitude, I could have held on for 1 more block and reach the second milestone of Hamammatsucho station.  Nearby was a Coco Curry.  I would have liked to have the curry instead of the beef bowl.  All the better since, there was no wait for the beef bowl and a line for curry.  I will eventually get to Coco at some point

On our first visit, we stayed at the Tokyo Prince Hotel and would walk the street everday to catch the JR train.  We got to know many of the restaurants in the area

I can see the tracks aahead again.  It means Im getting close

And finally, Ive reached Shimbashi station.  This closes the link on the southern part of the loop line that is bisected by the Chou/sobu line.  Ihave walked from Shinjuku to Nippori over the last 15 years roughly?  The total length of the loop is about 21.4 miles and I covered approx 15 of it.  I estimate 1 mile/year was my pace?

Now that the southern portion is complete, now its time to start the northern area.  Eh, maybe next year