Sunday, November 24, 2013

Travelogue-New Orleans (Arrival)

I took an early flight connecting through Los Angeles to Louis Armstrong Airport(MSY) in Louisiana.  As with many of my domestic trips, this would be my first visit time to visit the New Orleans.  I had finally gotten around to visit the city and, most importantly, to sample the creole and cajun foods the area is known for.  Previous musings were disrupted by Katrina and the Deep Water Horizon oil spill that contaminated the Gulf of Mexico and soiled miles and miles of shoreline.

 
As we approached the airport, the Mississippi River came into view below us.  At least I believe it to be the Mississippi.  The day was overcast and we had just come out of the clouds


Refineries lined the banks and barges plied their trade up and down the waterway.


Like any other river, big and small, it winds its way through the land.  Its path is determined by itself and nature except where man has intervened for his own purposes.  It meanders left and right as it sees fit.


On final approach, we pass over swamps and bayous.  I dont know the difference between the two.  One of hte big tourist attractions is to tour the swamps to view the flora and fauna.  Alligators and nutria among the fauna.  Both of which are consumed in the immediate area.

I grabbed my rental car as I was not going straight into New Orleans this first day.  I drive two hours west to the city of New Iberia.  My first stop the next morning would be a short drive from the outskirts of the city.  Not in the mood to go into the city proper, I had dinner at a local Ruby Tuesday situated on the same property to the place I was staying.  Other options were Chili's, Sonic, etc.  After a meal of shrimp, lobster, and crab cake, I bedded for the night ater a fairly long day of travel.