Thursday, March 14, 2013

Travelogue Dublin Greening and Going Bye Bye

It feels like I just checked in to Dublin yeasterday.  Wait, I did just check in the other day.  But, you know what I eam.  I feel like I just started my vacation and I've already come to the end of it.  This, March 14, is my last full day and the festivities for St Patrick's Day have just started up.  There is a beer village open today at Georges Dock.  They were to have food here as well.  However, all they had was a crepe tent, organic burgers, and a pie man who also had soup.  It has been open for an hour since noon and very few people showed up.

With the beer village being a big disappointment, I went to talk a walk along the nearby bridge   Looking toward city center, the Customs House lies on the banks of the river

Looking in the other direction towards the Irish sea

I began a walk back from city center towards Merrion Square.  Its a small urban park and one of two sights where carnival type rides will be erected for the festival

There are alot of these Carroll's place throughout the city selling souvenirs.  Before it was fugby relate.  Now its St Paddy's stuff to help get everyone into the mood

At 5pm, the city began the first night of "Greening" the city.  Building around the area are alight in green.  Clery's is a dept store on O'connell

I don't know what this building is.  Located just on the south side of the river at O'connell Bridge

Bank of Ireland joining in the greening

The Custom house from earlier in the day under the sun and now under the moon bathed in green

Of course the General Post Office is one of the many that are listed to be green. It sits on O'connell near the Spire. They should green up the Spire too

Crackbird on Dame St
Since I was nearby, I had dinner at Crackbird.  Crack or caric is an Irish term for enjoyment.  This is a hipster chicken place with low lighting and loud thumping music.  I ordered the dozen wings, soy fried.  I should have had half and half with habanero & honey.  They also offer 6 other sauces that you can add on.  The wings start to get salty quite quickly.  The soda with lime and mint helped to wash the saline from the tastebuds.  The one good thing is, a wing is the drumette and and wing.  So a dozen wings would be considered 24 pieces in other places.

Well, that about ends it for this trip unless something happens on the way back tommorrow