Monday, March 7, 2011

Japan 2011-Snow Scenes 2

As mentioned before, we had spent alot of time on trains during the middle portion of our vacation. The weather varied as we travelled through different parts of Hokkaido and the northern portions of Honshu. Some areas had the sun shining in clear blue skies while other areas were gray and snowy.

Much of the ride to Hakodate was dreary. On the flipside, the shorter 2 hour train to Aomori was sunnier. We would not be able to take advantage of the sun as almost half the trip would be spent in an underwater tunnel that connects Hokkaido and Honshu. I should have taken better notes so I dont remember if this was before or after the submarine passage.

As I gazed at the mountains in the distance, it reminds me alot of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. The range stretches between the California and Nevada statelines. I had spent many a winter at various ski resorts that dot the range. Enjoying the fine skiing, taking in the great scenery, hanging out with friends were always activities that I would look forward to when the white stuff would fall enough to blanket the slopes

The only reason I post this picture is because I was so surprised that it came out pretty decently. Once again, I was in between cars and barely saw this coming up. I quickly reached for my camera and took the shot before it was beyond the frame of the window and beyond my capability to capture it.

As we neared Tokyo, the weather had turned once again to a dreary state. Gray clouds obscured the sun and cast a dower mood over the area. It was no matter to us since were warm and dry within the confines of our coach. The weather stayed much like this for the rest of the time that we were in Tokyo. The sunshine would come out on that rare occasion. We met with unexpected snow on our departure date of Feb 11. Furtunately, this was just the beginning and not much of it would stick to the ground before we made our way to the train platform. It was still a sight to see for me. I have travelled to Tokyo many a time in winter and this was the first time to expetience the falling snow. Last year, the weather was warmer and I got alot of rain on many of the days of my stay. But by now, I had already had my fill of snow from Hokkaido.