Thursday, March 17, 2011

Japan 2011-Koedo

My friend and I went to an area of Kawagoe known for isolating the look and feel of an earlier time. Koedo is within easy access by bus or foot from Kawagoe station on the Saikyu line. The feel of ancient Edo was totally lost to me when I saw all the auto traffic along the main drag in Koedo. I was expecting the streets to be closed to car traffic so that pedestrians can freely walk about. I got this disillusion from the pictures on the area's official website. Anyway, many of the structures have the look of black wooden storefronts. Being that this has become a tourist orient area, there are many items you can purchase. We saw a number of senbei, rice cracker, shops.

In Kashiya Yokocho, cheap and affordable sweets and candies delighted the school children. Some of the candies are like the old style brightly colored candies seen below. Part of the charm of this area is that things like these candies are supposed to be made in the traditional ways back when Tokyo was known as Edo

Children were scooping them up by the bag full. Many mixing different colors and different types all into one bag to enjoy throughtout the day or for the the bus ride home.

Many places will put out their welcome mats as they open their stores. Here, this storeowner, puts out his welcome dog. A friendly pooch who has not been jaded from years of being adored. He/she almost seems to be bowing to me as I pass by.

Another popular item being snatched up by children and adults alike are the soy sauce bread. If you look, you can see one in the middle of the photo near the bottom. I cannot attest to its flavor but certains things in Japan are bought solely as gifts for others and rarely eaten by oneself. Case in point, those high priced melons. The bread went for about 300 yen. Some kids who purchased them were barely tall enough to see one end of the loaf if standing vertically
After all the walking, it was time to walk back to the station to catch the train back to Tokyo. It had felt like a long day and the train ride provided little stimulus to stay awake. My eyelids won many battles over my consciousness to find me drifting off every now and again. Before I know it, we were at Ueno station and it would only be a little longer before we would change trains at Osaki to get back to Shinagawa. I did not fall asleep back in the room. I wasted the time watching TV and checking up on things on the net before going out again