Friday, June 4, 2010

Crows

Picture from www.kirainet.com

I dont know much about birds. All I know is that I hate pigeons. If I lived on the coast, Id probably hate seagulls. I dont hate or love crows. But, the sound of japanese crows does harken me back to Tokyo. Japanese crows sound different than the crows around here. The ones here tend to have a short caw whereas the japanese ones are a much more elongated caaawww. The sound seems very prevalent during the still morning hours as much of the city is waking up. In the cool of the morning, I dont hear alot of the traffic. There is the usual clitter clatter of the trains. You can hear the ambient hustle and bustle of people trying to get to work. Just when you get habituated to all the background noise, a caaawww breaks the morning air and resonates between the tall buildings. The crows tend to hang out in the greener areas of the city like Meiji Jingu or the grounds of the Imperial Palace. These areas tend to be very serene and calm. For me, walking through these places, the caaawwws are somewhat soothing and reassuring