Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Comicbooks

When I was young, I used to collect a number of Marvel comicbooks. The DC line never really appealled to me much. I recall that I purchased the first 3 issues of Omega Men for some reason. Something about the characters and storylines that just did not spark my interest. This was the days before the Dark Knight and The Death of Superman. I also bought a few issues of Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles. I had reprints of the first couple of issues as they had become very popular and I jumped on the bandwagon a bit late. In the comics, they were very edgy and dark, not like the cartoonish characters they eventually became to be on tv. Every week, I would take the bus to my local shop to see what was new. Oddly enough, the guy that ran the shop is alot like the Comicbook guy from The Simpsons, only in physicality. the guy was large with a goatee/mustache and dressed very casually in t-shirts. Attitude wise, he is quite a departure from the caricature. He was a good guy and would sell back issues at cover price if they were available. Most people would have marked up the price.

Aside from the many popular titles, I collected some of the lesser known characters like Moon Knight and Ghost Rider. I have issues of Fantastic Four, The Avengers, Spiderman(plus variations), X Men, Iron Man, Alpha Flight, etc. I wonder what they are worth nowadays. Back when I bought them they were 50 cents and had gone up as high as 75 cents when I stopped collecting.