Sunday, July 31, 2016

Speaking of Gilroy Garlic Part 5

This last post is going up during the waning hours of the 2016 festival



An additional look at the Pyro Chefs working at Gourmet Alley cooking up a show as well as some seafood

Speaking of cooking, there are cooking demonstrations and competitions throughout the 3 day run

A shaded stage is set up with cooking stations and large screen tvs.  Seats are set up around the stage under mesh to keep the harsh rays out but plenty of light gets in. 

I came in to rest in a covered spot that was not too crowded like the big tents in the open fields.  Plenty of seats for those who purposefully attended and those seeking a respite.

The demonstration involved kids and home shcefs as they whipped up crab cakes and meatballs with rigatoni.  Later, the cmopuetition involved making a dish with surprise ingredients: chicken, artichoke hearts, and pickled garlic to name a few.


Outside people milled around under the sun and in the mild heat.  Mild for most but too much for my liking.  Ducking into the stage area is part of my shadow ninja stadium to keep from getting sunburned.

Souvenirs from edible to wearable can be purchased at tents around the grounds.  Tshirts eblazened with the festival logo on brightly colored materials outshine those on primarily black, white and biege shirts of those on my previous visit.


A couple bottles were nice to keep me hydrated but I wanted soemthing to help beat the heat.  This very refreshing margarita hit the spot like no other.  I could have gotten a smoothie but the sweetnes would undermine the cooling affect.  I took my drink, placed my but at the base of tree and partook with the aid of an occasional breeze.  A relaxing moment

As mentioned, I came alone and filled up rather quickly.  This left me feeling left out as I did not get to sample as many of the offerings made available to visitors

So, on the way out, I purchased 2 items for the ride home.  They are the combo plates availabe from Gourmet Alley.  Both come with garlic bread and 1 of 2 halves of a sandwich, tri tip or sausage.  One comes with marinated mushrooms and shrimp scampi.  The other offering is pasta with pesto and calamari in tomato sauce.  Unfortunately, they did not make any allowances for take away orders.  No to go containers or bags to carry large orders in.  All that was provided was a second plate as a loose covering