Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Germany, Departure w/pictures

I left the hotel early to make a morning flight.  It was well before breakfast and no one was at reception.  At DUS, we are bussed onto tarmac to board the short flight between here and CPH.  

Exiting the bus, I noticed a military helicopter taxiing away from us.  An AH 64 Apache attack helicopter

There were also some Blackhawks.  After take off there was an area where there were a number of Blackhawks, Apaches, and Longboe Apache variants on the ground

With a 4 hour layover in CPH, I had decided to purchase access to the SAS lounge rather than convert any remaining money to Danish Kroners and purchase food at any of the food options in the terminal.  There was a soda bar, automatic coffee machine, beer on tap as well as wine.  Food options included some cold salad items, soup, bread, cookies, and chips.  On the first go, I had samples of the cold salads including a rice salad with chicken.  Hard rice but pleasent flavors.  Cream of cauliflower soup which tasted more of cream with a whisper of cauliflower.  Loved enough to have a few bowls.  Coke Zero to wrap it up.  That was about 2 servings worth while I relaxed.

In between the first and last bowls of soup, I indulged in some coffee and butter cookies.  Maybe those danish butter cookies we see in the tins this time of year?  I dont know what flavor of kettle style chips they offered but they were addictive.  Lastly, there was some fresh fruit.  I grabbed 3 tangerines for the flight before I left.  For this trip, the lounge was well worth it.  I had decided to purchase this at $35 when I first saw it on the app.  When I went to check in through the app, the price dropped to $28


The flight took off before sunset.  We were chasing the sunset throughout the flight.  We were losing the race early on as darkness fell and all you saw outside was dark

I enjoyed most of the inflight meal on the return leg.  The chicken with rigatoni was pretty good, better than the chicken dish on the first flight.  The nice crusty roll reminded me of the rolls I had at the holiday markets.  The raspberry dessert was not too sweet with some sour notes.  The cabbage carrot salad with olive oil dressing was not touched. 

For the rest of the flight, it was the transition between eternal sunset and moonrise


The flight landed and I went through customs with little delay.  Sunset caught up to us and it was dark when I got on public transport then made it home for Thanksgiving dinner