Monday, December 11, 2023

Germany, Day 5 - Last full day w/pictures

Dus bookends the trip as no other city had any markets that would open before my departure the next day.  I spent the time strolling around the Old Town area that I stayed in
Over the streets are decorated with holiday flare.



This is the home location of Fischhaus.  The stall at Carls Platz where I had the fish soup


I stopped into a restaurant for lunch.  It was quite early as they had just opened and only 2 tables were occupied


I ordered the saurbraten for the first time.  It was accompanied by stewed red cabbage, potato dumplings, and applesauce.  I always enjoy the the cabbage side dish which was slightly sour sweet.  The dumplings, and they were dumplings and not boiled potatoes, were bouncy but very bland.  It could have used some kind of sauce on its own.  The beef itself was pretty dry.  The applesauce helped to offset that shortcoming.  Place it was a nice contrast to the sour sauce.  Not the best dish that I had during the trip

My meandering brought me over to the Ko Bogen market near Schadow Markt and the ice rink.  There was a grass lined incline that would make for a nice lunch spot on sunny warm days.  At its base were a few huts for the market



A mess of cookie cutters




As I went back to Cornelius platz, I ordered up a warm eierpunsch, egg nog, made with Verpoorten egg liquor.  Im not sure if they followed the recipe on the website for eggnog but it was creamy warm and sweet.  Sweet much like all the other hot drinks Ive had

Ready to play

My collection of mugs/cups over the last few days.  Except for the Duis and Ober, in sequential order or purchase

Dinner is in nearby Burg Platz at Schwan.  I saw somewhere on the internet about this place for schnitzel.  Or their take, "schwanitzel".

Chose the veal jagr style which includes a brown mushroom gravy.  Fries and a bit of cole slaw.  It was a good sized cut of veal and I was able to finish it.  Not all of the fries but I made a good dent in it.  It was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  A satisfying last dinner of the trip.