Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Modern Day Da Vinci/Edison-Steve Jobs

I was working in the office yesterday when my supervisor got word over his iPhone that Steve Jobs had passed away.  Steve may not have produced as many inventions as Da Vinci or Eidson, but his products have become just as commonplace and widespread  as anything those 2 great men ever came up with.  In the US and in most places in the world, you could walk to a person and ask if they own an Apple product.  I would bet that you would easily get a yes answer in less than 5 attempts.  However, I would have to answer "No" if you asked me that question.  Being in the minority,  I am surrounded by many who own many of Apple's portable products but not so much their Mac computers.  Though I have never owned an Apple product, I have always given Jobs his due for creating products that people would sell their birthrights for.  Products that were easy to use and worked well.

The timing of this news seems a bit suspect.  It seems more than coincidental that this is communicated the day after announcement of the new iPhone.  Fears of this overshadwoing the product release or a dip in stock prices makes me scratch my head.  Jobs has been known to be very private and would keep news like this very close to the vest.  Attribute this to the conspiracy theorist in me
Steve Jobs was a rennaisance man/great inventor of our age.  Though he may never win a Nobel prize, he will be remembered by throngs of consumers.   I bet he's listening to his iPod in the iClouds.  Maybe Apple should make a black iPad in his honor.