Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Random thoughts

It has not been that long since I've been back from Japan, almost 3 months. After returning, I thought to myself that I have visited Japan and Tokyo, specifically, in the past few years that I dont really need to go again next year. I have, in no way, explored and seen everything there is to see or experience. I tend to do alot of the same things on most visits. Searching out for new things and places occupies only a small fraction of my vacation time. I have constantly told myself to expand my horizons and visit other countries and cities. But, it never fails to happen that just when I think I've gotten it out of my system, the slightest memory will trigger a flood of homesickness to wash over me.

Just last night, as I was watching a PBS show that was talking about bug collecting in Japan, the sudden sounds of the Tokyo train system had me longing for another trip. The scene is at a train station somewhere in Tokyo and the PA system plays a chime before a female voice announces the imminent arrival of one of the many train lines that criss cross the city. Anyone who has spent anytime in Tokyo will be investing countless moments in the public transportation system. the majority of which will be in either the train or subway system. I was half asleep laying in my bed. As soon as I heard the melodic tones, I sat up to stare at the television. The images of the large numbers of people exiting and boarding the trains and the stations reminded me of when I was doing the same things.

Other relapses have occurred when browsing websites as well. Flipping through images, I am emotionless until Ihit upon a few images that represent places that I had actually visited myself. the memories of the fun I had come to mind. The experiences become fresh in my mind once again as if I had just returned even though that specific visit may have taken place many years ago. The sounds and smells come to the forefront as I relive those moments. I cant help it. Japan was always the first place I wanted to visit and it still tugs at my heartstrings. Of course, time and money are stricting factors. If these elements were eliminated, I would be there several times a year.

Live there permenantly, you say? A thought that has crossed my mind on numerous occassions. In reality, its something that I could not see myself doing. Months at a time is quite possible but not on a permanent basis. I think it would detract from its allure if I were to resign my citizenship here. For example, as someone who lives in an area that does not regularly get snow, I look forward to the winter and snowy landscapes of Lake Tahoe during that time of year. I dont have to put up with shoveling snow for several months out of the year. I dont have to put up with white out conditions while driving to work. I dont have to put up with bone chilling temps and howling winds that strip the heat from your body. I go up to the snow when I feel like it. It doesnt come to me and ruin my day. While I enjoy the energy of the crowds on the streets or trains, Im sure I would tire of it very quickly if I were having to commute in it everyday. Waiting in line for meals would not seem as pleasent if I had a limited amount of time to purchase, ingest, and make the round trip return back to the office.